Really curious about this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have read numerous experiments when a person acted more confident for whatever reason (was told to be so, or given some reason to believe they were smarter or w/e) they ended up performing better than control groups.

Confidence is key, knowing that you can solve any problem they throw at you if you've prepared.

Then don't tell them you are taking the MCAT or want to be a doctor. That way you know people aren't expecting anything from you, and you can live your life without any perceived pressure.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a question that I've been asking myself for a while. But here it is (it somehow relates to this test...and every other test you've taken).

Do you think someone performs better on a particular test, like the mcat, if they are humble? Or cocky? I know the question seems a little weird and in a sense stupid, but I'm really curious.

Is it better for a student to be truly modest and not think greatly of himself? Or would a cocky attitude yield more confidence which leads to more accurate thinking?

I truly believe that if everything else is held constant (intelligence, preparedness, adequate rest), your personality really is a big factor in how well you perform in a particular situation.

What do you guys think?

If the intelligence is already there and has gotten you this far, then I think your personality during the test is irrelevant.

That's what I thought. But wouldn't confidence lead to anxiety? If you are confident, then obviously you know people expect much from you. That expectation adds pressure, which leads to clouded and ambiguous thoughts. However, I've seen people that are very modest (not too confident) that generally perform better on exams because no expectation = no stress. But of course that could go either way...

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

That's not confidence, that's over dependence on other people's opinions - just another form of insecurity.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?21oc4l

Confidence and humility together are a great mix. If you want to work in medicine, you must be confident but also aware of your limitations both in power and knowledge. When I walk into a house to assess, treat, and transport a patient, I do so in a calm and confident manner. But if I don't know, I find out the answer by calling my doc. My goal is to keep that patient alive. Afterwards, I look up the answer to the question I have one way or another. But I never let the patient or the family see me sweat. It has a very positive effect on everyone involved.

confidence and humility together are a great mix. if you want to work in medicine, you must be confident but also aware of your limitations both in power and knowledge. When i walk into a house to assess, treat, and transport a patient, i do so in a calm and confident manner. But if i don't know, i find out the answer by calling my doc. My goal is to keep that patient alive. Afterwards, i look up the answer to the question i have one way or another. But i never let the patient or the family see me sweat. It has a very positive effect on everyone involved.

+1