Really later bloomer.. Need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xalos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and I really want to go to medical school. However, I do have some issues....

10 years ago I enrolled at a state school's area branch for 2 quarters and I pretty much signed up and paid the tuition. I went to the first couple classes and felt overwhelmed and didn't go back. I got a letter saying I was on academic probation due to my performance in the fall quarter and was given the information to register for winter classes.

Well, I decided I would give it another go and......

I had a repeat performance! :( I was immature and completely not ready for college.

Well, it's been 10 years and I have been enrolled in another state school for 3 quarters. I have a 3.7 GPA and all seems fine with the world. But, I didn't transfer to my current college since I wasn't eligible so my GPA doesn't reflect the issue.

Well, I'll be a Junior after next quarter and I have to make some decisions on what to do.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to straighten up your transcript from 10 years ago. Does it have all F's? Can you retroactively withdraw from the fall semester courses? Start by calling the registrar, and find out whether you can petition to have these grades changed. Since you didn't take any of the exams (I assume), this may be possible.

AMCAS, the application service for MD schools will count all undergraduate classes you have on any transcripts, including those from 10 years ago. So, you really need to know whether you can get W's instead of F's since with F's, your GPA situation will be poor.

Regardless, since there is such a long time between your first and second academic career, it may be possible to get into some places with your current excellent GPA. The risk is getting screened out before anyone looks at you.

Other items you need:

good MCAT - take in May/June of application year, after all your pre-reqs are complete
volunteering - clinical and service
leadership
shadowing (not as important for non-trads)

Good luck and keep in touch - SDN is a really good resource.

Well.. it appears that I can't retroactively withdrawal from those 2 horrible quarters. I think I only took like 12 credit hours per quarter. So, I think I could eventually build my GPA up high enough to get my GPA in the 3.4/3.5 range with enough A's.

It will be a long road.. But, I think I can still pull it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.. it appears that I can't retroactively withdrawal from those 2 horrible quarters. I think I only took like 12 credit hours per quarter. So, I think I could eventually build my GPA up high enough to get my GPA in the 3.4/3.5 range with enough A's.

It will be a long road.. But, I think I can still pull it off.

I think so too. Good luck.

My uGrad is 2.99.

I got it up from a 2.4 something.

My biggest issue is that I didn't do well in all of my classes when I returned for my pre-reqs. However, I did show improvement and growth, and I took an SMP where I took med school classes and did well. The most important thing was that I never gave up. I was admitted to Wayne State a few weeks ago.l

My advice, do the best you can in the classes you have now. Reading your post, I am assuming you do not have a degree now. If you have a degree look into an SMP that allows you to take med school classes.

Good luck! It will be a long road but you can do it. Especially if you are not like me, and you rock out the grades now. :luck: :luck: :luck: