Really Lost, Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralikhan92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have extremely low stats from UofT in Canada (dual citizen) in a biology program. I am in my 3rd year with a 2.3. Im hoping to bring that up to a 2.6-7 by the end of this year. I am also going to take the MCAT this summer. In my 4th year I will most definitely bring my GPA up even higher. I know this may seem like a joke to all of you, but what must I do in relation to my MCAT and GPA from this point on, and is it still possible for me to get in somewhere in the Caribean? If so, where? I am dead set on going to the caribean, I know a lot of you would advise against, so with that in mind any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have extremely low stats from UofT in Canada (dual citizen) in a biology program. I am in my 3rd year with a 2.3. Im hoping to bring that up to a 2.6-7 by the end of this year. I am also going to take the MCAT this summer. In my 4th year I will most definitely bring my GPA up even higher. I know this may seem like a joke to all of you, but what must I do in relation to my MCAT and GPA from this point on, and is it still possible for me to get in somewhere in the Caribean? If so, where? I am dead set on going to the caribean, I know a lot of you would advise against, so with that in mind any advice would be appreciated.

I am unsure if you could bring your GPA up from a 2.3 to a 2.7 but if you manage to do so, that would help your case a lot. It also depends on your ECs, LORs and of course your MCATs. Obviously the higher the better but I would say even a 27 would probably do the trick. I would apply to the top 3 meaning SGU, Ross, and AUC.

I would also suggest maybe doing a Masters somewhere in advance science. I had an undergrad GPA of a 2.777 and an MCAT of 24 but I had a graduate GPA of 3.56 with a crap ton of ECs and great LORs. I got into SGU for this upcoming fall.

I think you would stand a better shot if you do a masters if you want to go to SGU because when I applied, they also suggest I apply to their Masters program for Public Health so the same might be suggested for you to do before entering into an MD program.

You won't get in anywhere in Canada. But if you work your ass off for two years, you could probably get into a high-linkage SMP program like the ones at EVMS or RFU. Then it's a year of grad work and you'll get an MD acceptance in the US. You can probably get into the Caribbean sooner, but with the looming residency crunch due in 4 years, Caribbean grads are going to be SOL when it comes to matching. Ratchet up the try and do an SMP. Just my $0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you do apply, go to a reputable big 4 institution. If you honestly don't see dramatic improvement in your GPA from now on reconsider medicine. If you've put in your all and you aren't getting medicine worthy grades then you just aren't cut out for it.

People who aren't cut out for medicine who try to go to Caribbean, fail out with debt or graduate and don't land residency spots and have debt.

If you've honestly been fooling around in your first 2 years than cut the crap, try your best and try and bring your GPA up. If from now on your grades are 3.5+ than you have a shot at the Caribbean. If they aren't, forget medicine because its not just about getting into medical school, you are intellectually taxed throughout medical school to apply for residency and throughout residency and your professional life as well and if you can't perform at a certain level in undergrad, you won't do it in medical school either.

Going through the Match this year as a Caribbean student and its getting difficult. I have average board scores 220's/230's/pass all on first attempt and only got 8 interviews out of 82 applications.Its going to get much more difficult for us as the new US MD and DO schools start graduating their first classes and the established schools increase their enrollment.

Sure you will get into a school but remember thats the easy part. Getting through is the hard part. Fail any part of the USMLE and your pretty much dead in the water, score low your screwed, fail a basic science class your going have difficulties.

Schools all post a rosy picture and great step passing rates, residency placement etc. Remember statistics can be made to say whatever you want and the schools main goal and objective is to make a profit. Not faulting them for that but as a student you need to be honest about your ability to not only get by in a Caribbean school but score above the national average for US students on the board exams. I know plenty of people with 2-4 semesters of loans and nothing to show for it. What is worse are the people who finished but cant get a residency because of step failures and/or low scores.

My advice to you is to take some upper level science classes and see if you can handle those (3.5 GPA or above) and take the MCAT and see if you can get a decent score (27 or above) if you cant do either you likely will not be able to handle a Caribbean medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Going through the Match this year as a Caribbean student and its getting difficult. I have average board scores 220's/230's/pass all on first attempt and only got 8 interviews out of 82 applications.Its going to get much more difficult for us as the new US MD and DO schools start graduating their first classes and the established schools increase their enrollment.

Sure you will get into a school but remember thats the easy part. Getting through is the hard part. Fail any part of the USMLE and your pretty much dead in the water, score low your screwed, fail a basic science class your going have difficulties.

Schools all post a rosy picture and great step passing rates, residency placement etc. Remember statistics can be made to say whatever you want and the schools main goal and objective is to make a profit. Not faulting them for that but as a student you need to be honest about your ability to not only get by in a Caribbean school but score above the national average for US students on the board exams. I know plenty of people with 2-4 semesters of loans and nothing to show for it. What is worse are the people who finished but cant get a residency because of step failures and/or low scores.

My advice to you is to take some upper level science classes and see if you can handle those (3.5 GPA or above) and take the MCAT and see if you can get a decent score (27 or above) if you cant do either you likely will not be able to handle a Caribbean medical school.

:thumbup: Solid advice.

Can I ask what specialty you applied to?

You won't get in anywhere in Canada. But if you work your ass off for two years, you could probably get into a high-linkage SMP program like the ones at EVMS or RFU. Then it's a year of grad work and you'll get an MD acceptance in the US. You can probably get into the Caribbean sooner, but with the looming residency crunch due in 4 years, Caribbean grads are going to be SOL when it comes to matching. Ratchet up the try and do an SMP. Just my $0.02.

Can you comment on this residency crunch in 4 years? I assume residency slots for Carib grads are gradually getting slimmer as each year goes by starting now.

Can you comment on this residency crunch in 4 years? I assume residency slots for Carib grads are gradually getting slimmer as each year goes by starting now.

Thats exactly what it is. Fewer residency slots for international grads.

Solid advice. I agree 100%. Going through the match myself this year and finding it harder as a Carib. I am the average student going into a lowly competitive specialty. Getting into medical school is easy but surviving med school and Boards is no cakewalk. MCAT is only the beginning of a life full of exams. Fail one and you are done. Carib schools are easy entry but a life full of hardship. You are looking at attrition rates of >25% in some places. Make sure you are up for it before you commit.

Solid advice. I agree 100%. Going through the match myself this year and finding it harder as a Carib. I am the average student going into a lowly competitive specialty. Getting into medical school is easy but surviving med school and Boards is no cakewalk. MCAT is only the beginning of a life full of exams. Fail one and you are done. Carib schools are easy entry but a life full of hardship. You are looking at attrition rates of >25% in some places. Make sure you are up for it before you commit.

Yes, and you may also accrue tens of thousands of dollars of debt before you realize this. And, if you fail/drop out, you still will have to pay this back with nothing to show for it.

-Skip

Are these stats at all competitive for Caribbeans:
3.57 cumulative, 3.75 science, 20 MCAT
2 internships working with surgeons and family med
Research but no publications
Volunteered at a few lsports lagues for disabled children

I know the MCAT won't make the cut for MD/DO, but the repeat score was the same. I don't see it going up by much.

Are these stats at all competitive for Caribbeans:
3.57 cumulative, 3.75 science, 20 MCAT
2 internships working with surgeons and family med
Research but no publications
Volunteered at a few lsports lagues for disabled children

I know the MCAT won't make the cut for MD/DO, but the repeat score was the same. I don't see it going up by much.

seriously, go study for the MCAT some more and take it again. With a 3.6 GPA and 3.75 science GPA you should be able to get much better than a 20 on the MCAT cold, before studying. The fact you could tells me a couple of things. Either you didnt study properly and take the MCAT seriously, you have a poor ability to retain learned information which will be a huge issue for the USMLE or finally that you UG GPA is seriously inflated.

Sorry if i came off as a dick just wanted to be honest. Also, its not going to take much to get you into a DO school 4-5 points is all you may need with your GPA. 4-5 point improvement is not much when your starting at a 20. Take the MCAT again before even considering the Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
For starters, these aren't my stats. I'm finishing up school in 2 months and headed to residency.

From my point of view, the MCAT was taken seriously both times, and there was no improvement. Taking the best scores overall, I believe only adds up to a 22. The undergraduate GPA was earned through hard work at a fairly reputable state school and will probably increase upon graduation. The problem was verbal, which isn't an issue with retaining information. From my experience, the first two USMLE steps are completely different than the MCAT, especially verbal.

Anyways, the applications are in. I'm just wondering if they'd even make the cut due to the low MCAT.

For starters, these aren't my stats. I'm finishing up school in 2 months and headed to residency.

From my point of view, the MCAT was taken seriously both times, and there was no improvement. Taking the best scores overall, I believe only adds up to a 22. The undergraduate GPA was earned through hard work at a fairly reputable state school and will probably increase upon graduation. The problem was verbal, which isn't an issue with retaining information. From my experience, the first two USMLE steps are completely different than the MCAT, especially verbal.

Anyways, the applications are in. I'm just wondering if they'd even make the cut due to the low MCAT.

Of course he will get in somewhere this is the Caribbean. That said unless English is a second language, your verbal score is a better predictor of med school success and board exam success.

I would not be in rush to go to the Caribbean now as when this years class graduates there will be MORE US MD and DO grads than there are residency positions. Who cares if the apps are in they are cheap. Try for at least a year or so more to get into a DO school.

Of course he will get in somewhere this is the Caribbean. That said unless English is a second language, your verbal score is a better predictor of med school success and board exam success.

I would not be in rush to go to the Caribbean now as
when this years class graduates there will be MORE US MD and DO grads than there are residency positions. Who cares if the apps are in they are cheap. Try for at least a year or so more to get into a DO school.

This is simply not true.

• U.S. medical school seniors made up 16,390 of the 25,463 applicants who successfully matched to first-year residency positions
  • Notable gains in Match results for U.S. citizen IMGs and foreign-national IMGs, whose match rates rose by four and seven percentage points respectively
  • More U.S. seniors matched to primary care specialties
  • 78.8 percent of U.S. seniors and 78.8 percent of independent applicants who matched obtained one of their top three choice programs
  • The number of positions rose by almost 2,400 to an all-time high of 29,171

http://www.nrmp.org/

-Skip

I apologize I should've said "when this years ENTERING class graduates" there will be more US MD/DO's than residency spots.

There is simply not enough evidence at this time to support your supposition.

The COGME is predicting a massive doctor shortage by 2020 and an even larger one by 2050. USIMGs did better in this year's match and there were more 1st year spots than ever before.

While I think it is prudent to plan accordingly and, given that there are more U.S. spots both at MD granting and DO granting schools, one would be advised to rock-out if you are going to go the Carib route, the fact remains that the powers-that-be are adjusting the number of GME spots upward to account for this predicted massive doctor shortage.

What this holds for the future remains inscrutable at this point, I agree. But, there will probably always be spots for future "alternative pathway" matriculants.

-Skip

IMG's matching better statistically was due to the new all-in policy. So all the IMG's that would've pre-matched are now in the march statistics. That is directly from the NRMP website.

As of 2015 or 2016 there will be = or more US MD and DO grads for ACGME residency positions that is from the AAMC. The doctor shortage has nothing to do with not having enough US grads. It comes from not enough residency training positions, which will not increase because there is no more money to add more spots.

You are either living in a fantasy world or are very misinformed

There is simply not enough evidence at this time to support your supposition.

The COGME is predicting a massive doctor shortage by 2020 and an even larger one by 2050. USIMGs did better in this year's match and there were more 1st year spots than ever before.

While I think it is prudent to plan accordingly and, given that there are more U.S. spots both at MD granting and DO granting schools, one would be advised to rock-out if you are going to go the Carib route, the fact remains that the powers-that-be are adjusting the number of GME spots upward to account for this predicted massive doctor shortage.

What this holds for the future remains inscrutable at this point, I agree. But, there will probably always be spots for future "alternative pathway" matriculants.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
You are either living in a fantasy world or are very misinformed

Neither. (And, I'm not sure why you feel the need to try to insult me and address me in such a manner. It doesn't bolster your argument. So, no need to be a dick. Just speak to the facts.)

The number of positions rose by almost 2,400 to an all-time high of 29,171

http://www.nrmp.com/

So, the ACGME added 2,400 new spots this year alone. Why would this trend reverse? I don't think there is any intent to do so. Again, the COGME made a huge calculation error in the 1990's, and with the looming doctor shortage and in light of increased demand.

U.S. medical school seniors made up 16,390 of the 25,463 applicants who successfully matched to first-year residency positions

So, there were 29,171 spots. Of that, 25,463 matched. This left 3,708 spots unmatched (presumably filled outside the match, unfilled, or some other fate). Only 16,390 were U.S. medical school senors - required to go through the match - of those 29,171 spots. Your assertion is that by 2015 (or 2016) there will be an additional 12,781 U.S. medical seniors for a 1:1 match... and EVERYONE else is left out? Is that what your assertion is?

Now, as far as "living in a fantasy world", I'm actually board-certified and practicing in the real world. Fact is, we cannot easily find doctors to hire - across the board - at the hospital I'm currently working. And, I don't think hiring mid-levels is the answer, as the trend I've seen is that when left to their own devices they actually ask for more specialty consultation when they get lost. This does not solve the problem; it adds to it.

I think the very fact that AAMC has increased the number of positions in the U.S. for entering first-year allopathic students, there are more U.S. allopathic schools opening, and the osteopathic education system is expanding means that necessarily there will have to continue to be an increasing number of ACGME spots down the road. Even then, there will still be spots left over - they will never reach 1:1, as this does not leave enough choices for graduating seniors in U.S. schools to pursue the field they want.

The real question is what percentage over the number of available ACGME 1st-year residency positions will be available to independent applicants in the future. These things are being decided on a rolling basis, and will depend on a wide variety of variables such as how much of the medicaid funding in a particular state will be utilized to fund such positions. The fact remains that spots were increased this year by 2,400, which represents an 11.4% increase and is far more than were available in 2005 when I matched (not withdrew because of an advance position, a thing that the NRMP would like to do away with for independent applicants by the way). If that trend continues (and it's not clear that it will), the ACGME may continue to upwardly adjust the number of positions to meet demand. So, again, your premise does not necessarily hold true.

Next, go back and read again my post to which you snottily responded: you will have to be more and more competitive if you choose to go to the Caribbean route. After you're done doing that, review all of my posts over the past two years and show me anywhere I've said differently.

Now, wasn't that a more mature, cogent, and thoughtful response than yours?

-Skip

Specifically to this...

The doctor shortage has nothing to do with not having enough US grads. It comes from not enough residency training positions, which will not increase because there is no more money to add more spots.

They added 2,400 more spots this year! That is a fact.

(The rest of this misinformed statement addressed above.)

-Skip

The last time the number of applicants matched the number of positions was around 1980:

main.jpg

Since then, there have ALWAYS been more applicants than positions. This includes all applicants.

-Skip

The last time the number of applicants matched the number of positions was around 1980:

main.jpg

Since then, there have ALWAYS been more applicants than positions. This includes all applicants.

-Skip

My god what arent you understanding. somewhere between 2015-2017 there will be more US Grads MD and DO's than spots available. What you are showing are ALL applicants US MD and DO grads along with IMG's.

Once the gap starts to close US grads will start applying to the programs that are usually taken by IMG's and any program will take a US grad over an IMG.

Spots did go up but they are not going to go up to the point where Caribbean and other IMG's are going to be matching in as great numbers. Also, with the new All-In approach this year of course there were more positions in the match since there were no prematches. There simply isnt enough GME funding for it. They are actually trying to cut GME funding as we speak.

I still have no clue what the point is you are trying to make? The Caribbean has always been a risky choice over a US MD or DO school and that risk is only going to increase. Why do you ask?

1. More US MD and DO schools are opening.
2. US MD and DO schools are increasing enrollment
3. Caliber of Caribbean students will be even lower. Since the best students that would go to the Caribbean, will likely get into US MD or DO schools with more spots available.

Let me summarize so I can try to be as clear as possible...

• The number of ACGME spots increased this year. This had nothing to do with the "all-in" reporting required.
  • There will always be more applicants than positions from this point forward. Many of these are true IMGs. So, the point about there "not being enough ACGME spots" for all the applicants is taken, but irrelevant.
  • In the future, there will be more U.S. graduates competing for first-year positions... but there will also be more first-year ACGME positions. Both will tend to continue to drift upward to try to close the shortage gap.
  • There will continue to be first-year ACGME positions for independent applicants. They will get more competitive. But, they will not go away so long as the number of positions exceeds the number of U.S. graduating seniors.

If anyone was trying to make some other point, I'm not sure what it is.

-Skip

My god what arent you understanding. somewhere between 2015-2017 there will be more US Grads MD and DO's than spots available.

This is simply and patently untrue. That's what you are not understanding. There will not be an additional 14,000 graduating U.S. seniors - per year from all MD and DO programs combined - in that timeframe, even of no additional ACGME spots are added!

-Skip

Let me summarize so I can try to be as clear as possible...

• The number of ACGME spots increased this year. This had nothing to do with the "all-in" reporting required.
  • There will always be more applicants than positions from this point forward. Many of these are true IMGs. So, the point about there "not being enough ACGME spots" for all the applicants is taken, but irrelevant.
  • In the future, there will be more U.S. graduates competing for first-year positions... but there will also be more first-year ACGME positions. Both will tend to continue to drift upward to try to close the shortage gap.
  • There will continue to be first-year ACGME positions for independent applicants. They will get more competitive. But, they will not go away so long as the number of positions exceeds the number of U.S. graduating seniors.

If anyone was trying to make some other point, I'm not sure what it is.

-Skip

Yes, the number of positions not for US seniors are going to get much more competitive, close to prohibitively competitive by 2015-2017. Do you realize how many new MD and DO schools have opened in the past 4 years? Do you realize that pretty much all schools started to increase their enrollments by close to 15% . Those students are in the pipeline

The point im making is that right now 50% of Caribbean US-IMG's match, less than 50% of IMG's match. Those numbers are going to fall drastically after 2015-2017. Making the Caribbean options much much more risky than it even is now.

Also, add into your numbers the extra 3k or so DO grads who matched into MD residencies who are not considered US grads for the purpose of the NRMP stats. So close to 20k US MD and DO's matched out of the 25K that matched, there were about 1,100 positions in SOAP. The 29k number you quoted were not only for 1st year positions they probably included some advanced numbers as well, since NRMP specifically specifies first year positions in places and didnt when talking about the 29k number. According to AAMC US MD school enrollment by 2015 will 21k students then add in the DO students.

Last edited:
Okay, here are some bona fide numbers

In 2009, there were 77,378 enrolled students (across all four years) at U.S. allopathic medical schools in the U.S. In 2012, there were 82,067 (again, across all four years) enrolled. That represents - across the board - an overall enrollment increase of roughly 6.1% in that timeframe (not 15%). It can be inferred that a slightly higher percentage of 4th year seniors based on the 2012 statistics will be eligible for the match in 2016. Let's for arguments sake say this is a 10% increase for that 2012 entering class. Using those inferences, this means that in 2016, there will be roughly 22,000 U.S. seniors entering the Match.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321526/data/2012factstable26-2.pdf

This year alone (as state above), the ACGME increased residency spots by 11.4% to over 29,000. Given that they will probably add additional spots up to 2016, even if not at the 11.4% growth rate, this still outpaces the growth of U.S. spots by 7,000 at a minimum.

Now, did I ever argue that it wasn't going to get more competitive for independent applicants, the majority of whom are true IMGs (who later run into monetary, sponsoring, or visa issues)? The point is, there will still be spots available.

-Skip

Once the gap starts to close US grads will start applying to the programs that are usually taken by IMG's and any program will take a US grad over an IMG.

And how exactly is this bad for undergrad seniors who barely couldn't get into a U.S. MD/DO school in the first place? More U.S. spots means more people will not have to go to the Caribbean in the first place. Good for graduating undergrads; bad for Caribbean schools.

-Skip

And how exactly is this bad for undergrad seniors who barely couldn't get into a U.S. MD/DO school in the first place? More U.S. spots means more people will not have to go to the Caribbean in the first place. Good for graduating undergrads; bad for Caribbean schools.

-Skip

It's not. I'm talking about the people who still go to Caribbean schools after this expansion of US MD and DO schools. Now the students who go school "X" that changes it's name every few years will go to SGU, Ross, AUC etc. these people are going to find it much harder in a few years than in the past. My main point is that starting at a Caribbean school right now is a very risky bet. Much more so than in the past.

It's not. I'm talking about the people who still go to Caribbean schools after this expansion of US MD and DO schools. Now the students who go school "X" that changes it's name every few years will go to SGU, Ross, AUC etc. these people are going to find it much harder in a few years than in the past. My main point is that starting at a Caribbean school right now is a very risky bet. Much more so than in the past.

And, I would argue that the people who go to the Caribbean and survive it to the Match will likely get a U.S. spot somewhere, whereas this may not have been true in the past. Likewise, those who go and shouldn't be there in the first place already fail or drop out for a variety of reasons.

In other words, the "problem" will take care of itself.

-Skip

I find it impressive that the two of you can post back and forth all day. It's like you have nothing better to do all day....

My thoughts:

1. There were 26400 PGY-1 spots in the match this year. We can ignore the PGY-2 spots, since everyone who gets one of those needed a PGY-1 spot. This is an increase of about 2000 spots compared with last year, half of which were in IM.

2. Some, if not most, of the increase in spots in the match this year were probably from the all in policy. Many programs have been all in forever. Some take everyone outside the match. Some did both -- filled half their spots outside the match, and the other half inside. This year, those programs were forced to be all in or all out. Most went all in (as they didn't want to lose the 1/2 of their residents that were AMG's in the match), so those spots that previously were pre-matches are now in the match. Hence, much of the increase in spots in the match this year do not represent the opening of new positions, but rather a shift of positions from pre-matches to matched positions.

3. The number of US grads in the match was relatively constant from 2010-2012 at 16500, give or take. This year we saw an increase to 17400. The AAMC has called upon medical schools to increase class sizes by 15%. Many schools have increased class sizes, but often by less. If we assume a 10% increase (a number I have completely fabricated based upon no data whatsoever), that would increase the 16500 --> 18100.

4. There have been a few new allopathic schools that have opened. Some are in development, might fail due to budgetary issues. If we assume that at least 6 new schools open, perhaps with an average class size of 125, that would be another 750 graduating seniors, for a total of 18850.

4b. After all that work, I see that the answer is readily available. This table: https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf shows matriculants to US medical schools for 2012. Bottom of the table, you'll see 19517 new students enrolled in 2012. Few will fail out, so presumably we'll see that many graduates in 2016. A bit "worse" than my back-of-the-envelope calculations.

5. On the osteopathic side, there have also been class size increases and some new schools opening. AACOM's website says there were 5600 matriculants in 2011-12, and they predict 6600 matriculants by 2015. How many of these will match in the AOA match is unclear, but let's assume "worst case scenario" where there are no new AOA spots and all of the increased 1000 of them enter the NRMP match. Adding that to the 2600 DO students already participating in the match, and we have a grand total of 23100 US seniors participating in the match.

6. Assuming no growth in the number of GME spots, we'd have a match with 26400 spots and 23100 US grads including DO's. This ignores the early match, and military spots. So even with all of the growth, I don't see the number of US grads exceeding GME spots. It's clearly going to get tighter and more competitive, and just being an "average" Carib grad might not yield a match.

7. Will GME spots grow? That's a very hard question to answer. The ACGME is not actively creating new spots. The ACGME simply accredits programs and defines their maximal size based upon educational resources. They are not trying to manage the physician supply in the US. GME funding is capped, such that most new spots that open are unfunded. Whether an unfunded spot is budget positive, negative, or neutral is a hotly debated topic, and depends heavily on assumptions made about replacement costs etc. Some hospitals have closed due to financial pressures, and that might actually decrease residency spots (although funded spots that are closed can be redistributed to programs that open new spots, so chances are every closed spot will simply reopen elsewhere)

8. The "physician shortage" often mentioned is also in the eye of the beholder. We are told that there will be a physician shortage due to more people getting insurance, and baby boomers retiring and becoming ill. In the latter case, once the baby boomers die, we'll need less docs. And, whether we have a doc shortage depends on practice models (i.e. docs practicing alone vs working with a team of NP/PA's), practice sizes, specialist needs and supply, and distribution. It's really complicated, and I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. Some experts feel we have a distribution problem -- too many docs in urban / popular areas and/or too many specialists.

The TL;DR version:
  • This year's match demonstrated a slight increase in unmatched US grads compared with the prior 2 years, but similar unmatch rate to 3-5 years ago. Hard to know if this is the tip of an iceberg, or a fluke.
  • US Grads are increasing in numbers, and will continue to increase for the next few years.
  • Totally unclear what will happen to total GME training positions due to too many variables. Most likely outcome (IMHO) is level supply vs slow growth.
  • I expect GME funding will be cut due to budget constraints.
  • Match will become more competitive for all.
  • IMG's will feel the brunt, and will have increased difficulty matching.
  • Programs that are mixed AMG's/IMG's will probably shift to more AMG's as the supply increases.
  • Programs that are 100% IMG's and are outside the match will probably stay outside the match.
  • As competition increases we will have a higher rate of US grads not matching, which will trigger a debate about whether the match needs to be reformatted to allow US graduates and/or US citizen IMG's "first shot" at positions. There is no "right" answer to this debate. Some believe that spots should be earned purely by merit. Others believe that we have a vested interest to support our citizens first.

My god what arent you understanding. somewhere between 2015-2017 there will be more US Grads MD and DO's than spots available. What you are showing are ALL applicants US MD and DO grads along with IMG's.

Spots did go up but they are not going to go up to the point where Caribbean and other IMG's are going to be matching in as great numbers. Also, with the new All-In approach this year of course there were more positions in the match since there were no prematches. There simply isnt enough GME funding for it. They are actually trying to cut GME funding as we speak.

I still have no clue what the point is you are trying to make? The Caribbean has always been a risky choice over a US MD or DO school and that risk is only going to increase. Why do you ask?

1. More US MD and DO schools are opening.
2. US MD and DO schools are increasing enrollment
3. Caliber of Caribbean students will be even lower. Since the best students that would go to the Caribbean, will likely get into US MD or DO schools with more spots available.

You guys are almost on the Same page.
Skip Does not believe that in 3 y all the new opening schools and increased spots in medical schools across the country can produce enough doctors to close the gap, and I'm with him.
You believe funding for acgme spots will decrease and he doesn't.
They will get it and start spending money soon.

They won't be a 1:1 us grad residency spots in the near future. It's still not possible.
But yes there will be a hell lot of Caribbean grads with a degree and no residency.

You guys are almost on the Same page.
Skip Does not believe that in 3 y all the new opening schools and increased spots in medical schools across the country can produce enough doctors to close the gap, and I'm with him.
You believe funding for acgme spots will decrease and he doesn't.
They will get it and start spending money soon.

They won't be a 1:1 us grad residency spots in the near future. It's still not possible.
But yes there will be a hell lot of Caribbean grads with a degree and no residency.

We arent that far apart. My main point was that the gap will be without question closed as the enrollment in US MD schools will be 21k in 2015 according to AAMC and then the added DO schools. The point is the last few people being admitted to US schools would be the top 15% or so of Caribbean students in all likely hood. Now the students who now go to the Caribbean will be of a lesser caliber than in years past. Leading to much more difficulty passing and doing well on board exams and matching.

I find it impressive that the two of you can post back and forth all day. It's like you have nothing better to do all day....

Disappointed that you chose this tone. I usually agree with what you say. And, then you post over a 1,000 word response. Pot, meet kettle?

Don't worry about what I do with my time, and I won't worry about how you spend yours. Again, no need to be a dick. Just talk to the facts. I'm here to help. I've "been there, done that." So I have my own personal reasons for posting. I surmise the same from you. So, let's keep it civil.

My thoughts:

1. There were 26400 PGY-1 spots in the match this year. We can ignore the PGY-2 spots, since everyone who gets one of those needed a PGY-1 spot. This is an increase of about 2000 spots compared with last year, half of which were in IM.

I don't think you can completely ignore the PGY-2 spots, because those that don't go filled provide an opportunity for someone who spent a year in a prelim PGY-1 spot (or transferring from another specialty) to get a spot they otherwise wouldn't have. What I'm saying is that this still counts as the overall increase in spots, and not just a de facto throw-away number through which we should discount over 2,000 positions.

2. Some, if not most, of the increase in spots in the match this year were probably from the all in policy. Many programs have been all in forever. Some take everyone outside the match. Some did both -- filled half their spots outside the match, and the other half inside. This year, those programs were forced to be all in or all out. Most went all in (as they didn't want to lose the 1/2 of their residents that were AMG's in the match), so those spots that previously were pre-matches are now in the match. Hence, much of the increase in spots in the match this year do not represent the opening of new positions, but rather a shift of positions from pre-matches to matched positions.

You don't know this for a fact. Most of the high-caliber programs have always had all of their positions in the match. Many smaller and/or community programs may not have, but again these are captured in the ACGME database.

https://www.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/3

You can go to that link and run reports for each year. The problem is that it gives you all residents across all specialties for all training years. So, you cannot easily derive the first-year spots. However, you can compare year-to-year the increases, and how that affects all residents across all programs.

For example, comparing 2012-2013 academic year (119,479 total positions) to the 2011-2012 academic year (115,293 total positions) already shows that, in just that one year, there was an increase in not necessarily funded training positions of 4,186, which means that those spots are available. Those residents have to come from somewhere, don't they?

You can go to this link and compare the numbers again once the 2013-14 academic data is entered. I would suspect that you will see a similar increase.

3. The number of US grads in the match was relatively constant from 2010-2012 at 16500, give or take. This year we saw an increase to 17400. The AAMC has called upon medical schools to increase class sizes by 15%. Many schools have increased class sizes, but often by less. If we assume a 10% increase (a number I have completely fabricated based upon no data whatsoever), that would increase the 16500 --> 18100.

Reasonable estimation. Still doesn't outpace ACGME expansion.

4. There have been a few new allopathic schools that have opened. Some are in development, might fail due to budgetary issues. If we assume that at least 6 new schools open, perhaps with an average class size of 125, that would be another 750 graduating seniors, for a total of 18850.

Reasonable estimation. Still doesn't outpace ACGME expansion.

4b. After all that work, I see that the answer is readily available. This table: https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf shows matriculants to US medical schools for 2012. Bottom of the table, you'll see 19517 new students enrolled in 2012. Few will fail out, so presumably we'll see that many graduates in 2016. A bit "worse" than my back-of-the-envelope calculations.

And, less than mine (if you see my post above). And, this presumes that all will go to the match, few will get held back, etc.

5. On the osteopathic side, there have also been class size increases and some new schools opening. AACOM's website says there were 5600 matriculants in 2011-12, and they predict 6600 matriculants by 2015. How many of these will match in the AOA match is unclear, but let's assume "worst case scenario" where there are no new AOA spots and all of the increased 1000 of them enter the NRMP match. Adding that to the 2600 DO students already participating in the match, and we have a grand total of 23100 US seniors participating in the match.

Don't forget about osteopathic-only residency programs, which currently has 2,655 spots and will also likely expand.

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2012prgstats.html

Those who don't make it (or want to go) in the ACGME Match will still be able to fill these programs.

6. Assuming no growth in the number of GME spots, we'd have a match with 26400 spots and 23100 US grads including DO's. This ignores the early match, and military spots. So even with all of the growth, I don't see the number of US grads exceeding GME spots. It's clearly going to get tighter and more competitive, and just being an "average" Carib grad might not yield a match.

I think it is false assumption that there will be no additional growth of first-year spots. But, I agree that they will not exceed total number of spots. And, I've never (anywhere) ever said that you don't have to be competitive. The point is if you go to a lower-tier and/or not widely recognized Carib school, all bets are certainly off in this timeframe.

7. Will GME spots grow? That's a very hard question to answer. The ACGME is not actively creating new spots. The ACGME simply accredits programs and defines their maximal size based upon educational resources. They are not trying to manage the physician supply in the US. GME funding is capped, such that most new spots that open are unfunded. Whether an unfunded spot is budget positive, negative, or neutral is a hotly debated topic, and depends heavily on assumptions made about replacement costs etc. Some hospitals have closed due to financial pressures, and that might actually decrease residency spots (although funded spots that are closed can be redistributed to programs that open new spots, so chances are every closed spot will simply reopen elsewhere)

I think I've already done an adequate job of disproving your premise here. No additional comments.

8. The "physician shortage" often mentioned is also in the eye of the beholder. We are told that there will be a physician shortage due to more people getting insurance, and baby boomers retiring and becoming ill. In the latter case, once the baby boomers die, we'll need less docs. And, whether we have a doc shortage depends on practice models (i.e. docs practicing alone vs working with a team of NP/PA's), practice sizes, specialist needs and supply, and distribution. It's really complicated, and I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. Some experts feel we have a distribution problem -- too many docs in urban / popular areas and/or too many specialists.

It's not in the "eye of the beholder". There is a shortage. Period. It's not just maldistribution. Go look at some of the COGME reports in the 1990's. These guys were idiots who should've never been given that much power. And, we're paying the price for it now. This humongous mistake has created a whole measure of regulatory problems that my field - and me personally active in it in my state - are now contending with, namely the assault of midlevels attempting to get expanded practice rights.

I assume that you and I are probably roughly the same age (me, mid-forties). The question you (and society) has to ask themselves is, when you retire and start having significant health problems, do you want the advanced training and expertise of a physician making the decisions, or that of someone who has two-years of post-college training and is essentially turned loose on the public with out the benefit of a structured post-school training program that the ACGME provides.

-Skip

More importantly, the data are clearly on our side.

-Skip

Disappointed that you chose this tone. I usually agree with what you say. And, then you post over a 1,000 word response. Pot, meet kettle?

Don't worry about what I do with my time, and I won't worry about how you spend yours. Again, no need to be a dick. Just talk to the facts. I'm here to help. I've "been there, done that." So I have my own personal reasons for posting. I surmise the same from you. So, let's keep it civil.

Chalk this one up to failed humor. My apologies if it came across otherwise.

I think we actually agree. My whole post was to point out that even with growth of US schools, there will still be more spots available than US grads. There will still be positions for IMG's of various types. Whether there will be the same number, more, or less remains unclear (to me).

I agree that PGY positions have been growing overall. Whether they will continue to do so or not is anyone's guess, although I agree that further growth is likely.

As far as the physician supply is concerned, I'm quite comfortable saying that I just don't know. The folks at the Dartmouth Atlas make a reasonable argument based upon data that the workforce is fine: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/downloads/reports/Capacity_Report_2009.pdf

It's a relatively long report, so the short version is that there is a natural variation in physician density in the US unrelated to patient demographics, and that only at the low extreme is there any change in outcomes. Increased physician supply does not appear to improve outcomes, patient satisfaction, access, etc. This would suggest that an increased supply might not be necessary. There are similar debates on whether we have too many specialists, or too few.

Do I know the right answer? Nope. But I think that a blanket statement that we need more physicians oversimplifies the issue.

The folks at the Dartmouth Atlas make a reasonable argument based upon data that the workforce is fine: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/downloads/reports/Capacity_Report_2009.pdf

Well, I get a different read from that report, namely that there is a maldistribution of care in certain areas. The real truth, albeit anecdotal, is that we cannot find enough qualified physicians to fill a need in my current hospital. They just aren't out there right now. And, this is in the fields of internal medicine, psychiatry, and critical care.

And, the folks at Columbia also believe that we need more Doctors of Nursing Practice, including residency, in the clinical workforce for "independent clinical practice" (their words, not mine):

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/nursing/academics/dnp.php

I think this is the real problem. You've essentially "dumbed down" the system and are, in essence, somehow expecting to convert nurses to doctors with all the rights and privileges of those of us who have undergone a completely different training pathway; one whose "hidden curriculum" is in part learning how to weigh all the facts, make a decision, stand by it, and be ultimately responsible to the patient and their family regardless of the outcome. The nursing curriculum is just not "there" yet in that regard in this one man's opinion. I've seen it firsthand.

-Skip

Couldn't agree more. To be honest Caribbean grads are going to have a very tough time matching in the future.. graduating with ~200k debt and not matching anywhere is a huge risk to take. If you are not at the top of your class in the Caribbean kiss your chances of residency goodbye. Try to increase your grades with a 2nd undergrad or masters and go for a US/Canadian school- much less risky!!! (my 2 cents)

Finally, the thread I have been searching for! I'm currently getting everything together for the upcoming application cycle. I am a very competitive Caribbean applicant and a lower caliber applicant forU.S. schools. I believe this information has helped me in my decision making process. Thanks to all...

Finally, the thread I have been searching for! I'm currently getting everything together for the upcoming application cycle. I am a very competitive Caribbean applicant and a lower caliber applicant forU.S. schools. I believe this information has helped me in my decision making process. Thanks to all...

Go us md or do before going it Caribbean.
Good luck!

In 2016 there will be approximately ~26,000 spots for ~24,000 AMGs. Would it be safe to assume that by 2021-2022, they will be at least equal in number?

Not quite sure where you are getting your numbers, but neither of them are correct. First year matriculant numbers for 2012 (2016 match) were 19,517 for USMD and 5415 for DO, for a total of 24,932. Total number of non dead-end residency positions will be NRMP ~26,000 and NMS ~2500, for a total of ~28,500. That also does no count the military match, which adds hundreds of additional positions. And you also have to take into account that there is a, albeit small, attrition rate for AMGs.

~6300 IMGs matched through the NRMP last year. That number is not going to change significantly from one year to the next. Yes AMG enrollment is increasing, but not by leaps and bounds each year. The number of residency positions also increases each year, which helps to offset the yearly increase in enrollment.

No one knows exactly what will happen by 2021 due to the MD/DO residency merger. But you can look at the 2014 matriculant data (people matching in 2018). I think it is safe to assume that first year enrollment is not going to increase over 3 years (2017, matching in 2021) enough to reach a 1:1 AMG applicant:residency position by 2021.