really need advice about mcat/med school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego253

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the mcat last summer and got a 501 (I was scoring around 503-505 so not a big surprise) obviously this is not a great score and I am studying for a retake. I am scheduled to retake in May (next month) and just took AAMC FL 5 (havent taken it before) and got a 500. I talked to a mentor and he said to apply this cycle and push the mcat to july to hopefully get a 512.
Is this reasonable? I know people say to apply as early as possible and you arent complete until you have an mcat score, but I have an mcat score that I am not happy with, so my application would still be complete. If I indicate on my application that I am retaking the mcat will schools still look at my application and just wait for the mcat score or not look at my application until I have that retake score available.
I have decent GPA (3.65) good ECs and I think good LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the mcat last summer and got a 501 (I was scoring around 503-505 so not a big surprise) obviously this is not a great score and I am studying for a retake. I am scheduled to retake in May (next month) and just took AAMC FL 5 (havent taken it before) and got a 500. I talked to a mentor and he said to apply this cycle and push the mcat to july to hopefully get a 512.
Is this reasonable? I know people say to apply as early as possible and you arent complete until you have an mcat score, but I have an mcat score that I am not happy with, so my application would still be complete. If I indicate on my application that I am retaking the mcat will schools still look at my application and just wait for the mcat score or not look at my application until I have that retake score available.
I don’t know if it has changed but it has been the theory that schools are under no obligation to wait for your new score. They can ,and some do wait , but with hundreds/thousands of applications to screen many just move on. Do you really think you can get up to a 512? And remember some schools will average multiple scores(AMCAS rec that schools do this.)
Good luck on your retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply with your best application as early as possible. Notice that you want to present your BEST application. If you know you aren't going to do that, the schools love getting free money from you (donations).

Reactions: 1 user
Schools will look at your application if you're complete (including secondary), and won't necessarily wait for an MCAT score.

If you are committed to doing a retake no earlier than July, then apply next cycle if you are able to. I would especially advise this if you have not yet prewritten your personal statements and a good number of secondaries - definitely do not underestimate how long writing apps take.

Have you assessed what was causing you to score in that MCAT range? Do you feel confident in your plan to raise your score?

Reactions: 2 users
This suggests you should not be expecting a big jump on your score. You should either spend the whole summer studying for the retake and wait a cycle, or apply strictly to DO schools.