Really need advice/help urgently please :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

THis is my situation. I am a sophmore at school and my problem is that I have 13 credits and I absolutely have to drop this class, Genetics. I will have 10 credits. I have a total of 33 from last semester which is good and I wanted to know if its ok to do this (10 credits first semester) and then take 17 the next semester along with summer classes. I don't want to drop but I sort of need to. My question is, how will Dental School handle this? Thanks guys. :(

Members don't see this ad.

aphistis said:
Define "absolutely have to."

I don't think I will do well in it. It may kill my GPA and I do not want to even take the chance to juggle with it. I have been concentrating on organic chemistry and thankfully am doing great in it....

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to drop a class than get a bad grade. Drop it be ready to explain that at your interviews IF that comes up at all. For some people comes up for others don't. Just make sure it doesn't become a habit. Things happen, we are humans, we have deaths in the family, we get sick, hurricanes, stuff happens. Don't worry and make sure that next time you take it you do well. As long as you show and upward improvement, it should not be a big deal. This are just my 2 cents :) Good luck and relax :luck:

First...
Talk to your prof and see what the problem is. I'll be honest.. I am taking Genetics right now, classes this semester total 18hrs. I have done 18 before, no sweat, but genetics is a REALLY tough course. I did poorly on the first exam, but I spoke with my prof, go to office hours, study with others, ect. Since my trun around I have yet to get lower than a 90% on assignments. If I can do it, you can do it.

Second...
If you have to drop it, you surely will survive. Dental schools understand that classes are hard and there is a lot of competion for good grades.

True Story...
When I make mistakes, IE fail a test or what ever.... I always try and say this to myself.
-Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.

Good Luck,
-C

if you can't hack a couple of science classes in undergrad and do well, how are you going to hack a buttload of science classes in D School?

Suck it up and keep the class and do well.

I was in same situation when I was a sophomore. I dropped a course which put me down for 10 hours that semester. Now,I had 3 interviews so far and guess what?not a single question about that. Like someone said; we are humans and things happens. keeping up your GPA is very important..just don't drop anymore if you decide to drop it..you will be fine,

I would drop the class. Once you get that grade, there is no turning back from it.

Drop it and move on. Just try to prevent from having this situation spring up again or it may raise a major flag with adcoms.

yea you should be ok man

I'd do a few things: First, talk to your prof. 2nd, find out what is the policy for retaking a class - is the old grade wiped out and replaced with a new grade (but annotated as a retake)? That's okay. Does the old grade remain and you're screwed nonetheless? That's not so okay. Finally, I wouldn't worry so much about what dental schools will think about a Withdraw on your transcript. Just don't get into a habit of doing it.

When dental schools review your application package, they're looking for patterns. Dropping below full-time for a quarter isn't going to kill you. Dschools are more concerned with things like, do you have a ton of Withdraws or Incompletes? Did you do really well your first 2 years and then get a slew of C;s and Ds? That might indicate soeone who's lost momentum and might not be ready for the rigorous academics in dschool. Or, did you goof around and do poorly the first 2 years but then turned around, took extra classes and brought your GPA up? That might indicatae someone whos ready for the next step. Or, is there just some unexplained funk in your grades like you're getting Cs and withdrawing here and there? Maybe there was a death in the family or some extenuating circumstance(s) and you just weren't up for it.

And even if you do run into trouble, the AADSAS application (and many secondaries i think) has a section where you can explain any irregularities or disruptions of your schooling or where you can explain what was going on at the time.