Really need advice/suggestions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a student athlete trying to get in to medical school.
My GPA is 3.7, sGPA is 3.55.
I have a lot of volunteering hours in both clinical and non clinical settings. I have 60+ shadowing hours. I have a job in the hospital and have also done a little bit of research. I took the MCAT in June but unfortunately bombed it (prelim 22%-32%) --- i know thats really bad.
I get my results back in a few days and will be resigning up for the MCAT for August 21st.
Does anyone have any thoughts if I should wait to submit my primary or should i go ahead and submit it and then just wait for my new results to be sent to the schools? My pre health advisor said I should wait until Mid August but I'm a little worried that it might be too late. I would also appreciate any thoughts on the chances of actually getting into med school post bombing the mcat..
Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on how impressive your volunteer hours and experiences are, what your clinical job entails, and just how much research you've done, I would strongly advise not applying this year. I would plan on retaking the MCAT after about 300 additional hours of studying.

I would never say that you can not get into medical school; however, you will very very likely not get into medical school with those stats. I would consider taking at least a year or two off and retaking MCAT, science courses, and continuing to do service/gain clinical experience. Remember you are trying to sell to them that you want to be a physician and that you can handle it. I think retaking your MCAT August 21st is a big no-no. Take some time off and study hard. A second MCAT is about all they will want to see, so make sure you know it's the best you could have possibly done

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of volunteering hours in both clinical and non clinical settings. I have 60+ shadowing hours. I have a job in the hospital and have also done a little bit of research. I took the MCAT in June but unfortunately bombed it (prelim 22%-32%) --- i know thats really bad.
I get my results back in a few days and will be resigning up for the MCAT for August 21st.
Does anyone have any thoughts if I should wait to submit my primary or should i go ahead and submit it and then just wait for my new results to be sent to the schools? My pre health advisor said I should wait until Mid August but I'm a little worried that it might be too late. I would also appreciate any thoughts on the chances of actually getting into med school post bombing the mcat..
Thank you in advance!!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm a student athlete too, my gpa is really good, but I took the MCAT in May and didn't do that great. I talked to my advisor and she said that a bad MCAT score won't ruin your chances as long as your next score is a lot better. (some med schools only consider your most recent score too!) I basically decided to not take the MCAT until I'm getting the scores I want on practice tests. This probably means that I won't be ready to apply this cycle, which is frustrating, but I'm trying to think of it that I will have a good MCAT by next cycle and have my application submitted right when we are allowed to submit it. I also talked to a few friends already in med school and they said don't look at October/November as submission deadlines, but try to look at July as a deadline. I hope this helps!

Thank you in advance!!
You absolutely should not take the mcat in August and you shouldn't apply this year. It's really just a bad idea. If you've just received your score, there is NO way you've had time to remedy the number of issues that you had with your test. I'm not trying to be mean, but you didn't have a bad test day. You were grossly unprepared. It I was on an admissions committee and I saw you did this poorly and then signed up so quickly afterward, I would say that you are an unrealistic person who would rather blindly hope than show patience, perseverance, determination, and a willingness to work hard. Nobody wants a doctor who just wings it quickly. Take the mcat late this year or next year. Re-tool your preparation. People with your stats have gotten in 12-16% of the time on the past few years, and I would go ahead and assume wings of the medical school/hospital were named after those people's grandparents. One score where yours is would be brutal, but two of them - with only a few months between them - would likely be the kiss of death no matter how well you do on the third (barring 99.99%ile stuff). Don't do it. Show the judgment of someone worth the consideration. Take a year and give yourself the chance to become a doctor. I'm really not trying to hurt your feelings. I was an athlete in college, too, so I know how stressful it can be. But you are going to hurt your future if you re-take and apply this year.