Really need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyclechick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't think this could possibly be a redundant thread, so I'm going to post. I'm completely lost knowing what to do here.

I just finished my master's degree in Violin Performance from a great private school with a 3.65 GPA. My BA GPA was 3.86. I'm just about to start taking my post bac classes at my undergrad state school. I was going to take Calculus and Biology, but I don't think I will test into Calc because I haven't taken math in so long. I'd like to take a math prereq at a cc while being concurrently enrolled at my U for the bio class. Does that work, will my student loans start coming in b/c I'm not enrolled in more than 6 credits in one place?

Should I wait to start the pre reqs and maybe apply for a good post bac instead?

I'd like to get some medical exposure before I start this road anyway and maybe it makes more sense to wait and do a good post bac.

I'm 26 now and have $30,000 in debt from my MM.

I'm going to blow my savings if I take classes this semester. I'd like to take classes full time, but I heard that I can't get 2nd bac loans if I've already finished a master's deg. Is this true??

That's a lot of questions. I know this is a really specific post, but I would be greatly relieved to get some help. I truly appreciate your advice and promise to pay it forward when I get further into this process!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The questions that you ask about financial aid are better answered at your university financial aid. I was concurrently enrolled at a CC and Univ and they took care of it with an agreement between the schools. Yes you can get aid, even though you are not enrolled half-time either place. I don't know about the masters/post-bac questions. Talk to the financial aid office, they know these things.

You are only 26 years old, you have lots and lots of time. Don't get in a hurry. Yes, it makes more sense to get some clinical experience first.

Don't think this could possibly be a redundant thread, so I'm going to post. I'm completely lost knowing what to do here.

I just finished my master's degree in Violin Performance from a great private school with a 3.65 GPA. My BA GPA was 3.86. I'm just about to start taking my post bac classes at my undergrad state school. I was going to take Calculus and Biology, but I don't think I will test into Calc because I haven't taken math in so long. I'd like to take a math prereq at a cc while being concurrently enrolled at my U for the bio class. Does that work, will my student loans start coming in b/c I'm not enrolled in more than 6 credits in one place?

Should I wait to start the pre reqs and maybe apply for a good post bac instead?

I'd like to get some medical exposure before I start this road anyway and maybe it makes more sense to wait and do a good post bac.

I'm 26 now and have $30,000 in debt from my MM.

I'm going to blow my savings if I take classes this semester. I'd like to take classes full time, but I heard that I can't get 2nd bac loans if I've already finished a master's deg. Is this true??

That's a lot of questions. I know this is a really specific post, but I would be greatly relieved to get some help. I truly appreciate your advice and promise to pay it forward when I get further into this process!

Thanks!

I had a master's degree when I started a post-bacc program and taking out loans wasn't an issue for me.

This year they've changed the federal direct loans in that you only get aid for 12 consecutive months, which apparently is new. :shrug:

I would get some clinical experience and start asking questions ASAP before diving into a schedule. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice, n3xa and Edlongshanks!

I'm going up to talk to finaid in a few hours.

The way I see it, I have three options.

1-Wait to start school (or maybe just take math pre reqs at cc only), do some lab volunteering, shadow some docs, do some violin teaching volunteering and make some money. Then, apply to a top post bac like Scripps, Bryn Mawr, Mills, etc.

2-Start at cc with the pre req math requirements and bio 1210. Then maybe transfer to 4y for the 2nd year and get a loan for that year. My dad's a prof at the cc, so I can go for almost free.

3-spend my savings on 4y school from the beginning, and try to get a loan for spring semester.