Really stupid AMCAS GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asunshine

can't sing but i got soul
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone talks about their AMCAS GPA, but on the actual application, i put in all my coursework, and i can't find any calculated cumulative or science GPA. it's gotta be on there somewhere.....right? or do we just try to calculate it ourselves?

Members don't see this ad.

asunshine said:
everyone talks about their AMCAS GPA, but on the actual application, i put in all my coursework, and i can't find any calculated cumulative or science GPA. it's gotta be on there somewhere.....right? or do we just try to calculate it ourselves?

The AMCAS app won't tell you the final calculation until after it is processed.

asunshine said:
AMCAS will calculate it for you once you've completed the application and sent in all of your transcripts. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they figure it?

nuts. hope we get the same numbers!

ramstam said:
How do they figure it?
They have directions to calculate it yourself providing you want to do the math.

My app is complete....but I still dont see a GPA calc??? WHERE is it on the AMCAS?

CuttinEmUp said:
My app is complete....but I still dont see a GPA calc??? WHERE is it on the AMCAS?
You have to go to the print application option. In that, you can view the PDF where there will be a table with your GPA.

ND2005 said:
The AMCAS app won't tell you the final calculation until after it is processed.

This is the key...it has to be processed by AMCAS before your GPA will appear. Having a complete application is not enough.

HemaOncoDoc said:
They have directions to calculate it yourself providing you want to do the math.

What are their rounding rules? Sorry I am such a loser but my gpa is tricky in the thousands column.

modelslashactor said:
What are their rounding rules? Sorry I am such a loser but my gpa is tricky in the thousands column.
Don't say you're a loser. A+/A = 4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, etc...I believe they round 0.005 as 0.01. When I calculated my GPA, that's how it worked out.

How does it work if your school doesn't use a plus/minus grading system? On my transcripts there are just letter grades; no number value for the class and no pluses or minuses. I'm just curious as it'll be a while before I have to tackle the AMCAS.

mam4993 said:
How does it work if your school doesn't use a plus/minus grading system? On my transcripts there are just letter grades; no number value for the class and no pluses or minuses. I'm just curious as it'll be a while before I have to tackle the AMCAS.
For the AMCAS, you input your grades as it is reflected on your transcript. If there are no +/- on your transcript, you don't do it. From that, after submission and the receipt of your transcripts, AMCAS will verify the accuracy of your application and will give your associated GPA.