Really want to go to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdausuzhe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older applicant. Got rejected everywhere last cycle. Had 2 late interviews this year. Got 1 rejection already. Waiting on another one and the decision is supposed to come out 4-6weeks from now. Afraid I choked on the interview. What should I do other than panic? I don't know what to do if I get rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose you can try a letter of intent to the school you're still waiting on. This would be a kind of situation for that, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We can offer you more advice if we had an idea of your stats, extracurriculars, and where you applied, but that may be moved to the What Are My Chances subboard. You might also want to check out the Re-Applicants board as well.

Stats please, how many place's did you apply. Did you apply to appropriate schools? Did you apply DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Start thinking about how you would approach applying again (if you're willing to try for a 3rd cycle). If you provide more details about your application, people may be able to help you figure out why you haven't had better luck.

I don't want to reveal my stats at the present time. They are not too bad, except for ugrad gpa. But I am very worried about what I'll be doing if I don't get in.

Then we really can't tell you what to do. I mean bad Ugpa means anything from 3.5-2.0~.
If you don't get in, then you can take a SMP if your mcat is 30+.
If your willing you can retake a few classes and raise your gpa and apply to DO schools.
But we need to know the stats or else we will not be able to give a personalized answer and or opinion on this situation.

I don't want to reveal my stats at the present time. They are not too bad, except for ugrad gpa. But I am very worried about what I'll be doing if I don't get in.

Then what exactly do you want us to tell you...?

Without more information its hard to give advice. You could go talk to your pre health adviser about the next steps.

Basically if you think your ugrad gpa is the issue, figure out if its the science courses and if you can retake them for As. If its something else intangible you could look into clinical exposure for a year perhaps. If you're about to finish a big degree like an MS or a PhD you could fire another set of apps in May and make sure you get in early this time.

Good luck.

I am an older applicant. Got rejected everywhere last cycle. Had 2 late interviews this year. Got 1 rejection already. Waiting on another one and the decision is supposed to come out 4-6weeks from now. Afraid I choked on the interview. What should I do other than panic? I don't know what to do if I get rejected.

Did you apply in back-to-back cycles? Were you able to make considerable improvements in your application between those cycles? Did you apply early enough? Broadly enough?

You really have to give up some information. Else all we can tell you is to re-apply if you want, or consider a new career path if you want. I agree with Food...what do you want from us?