Really worried about upcoming application. WAMC?

Started by scudia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scudia

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone 🙂,
So i'm going to be applying this coming application and I wanted a sense of if I should even apply. Below are my stats. They aren't so good... I have about three months to retake the GRE so I was wondering if I should? I did pretty poorly so i'm guessing it couldn't hurt. What do you guys think? Also any recommendations on where to apply?

University:University of California Davis
Major: Biological Sciences with Neurobiology Physiology Behavior emphasis
Overall GPA:3.01 (I Know haha)
Pre-Req GPA: (3.3, Taking anatomy at a CC ATM and will finish in May)
GRE: 149V,151Q, 3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Professional pre health fraternity member, Abstract accepted to American Clinical Chemistry, 2nd and 4th author of published manuscripts, 1 year of graduate laboratory experience/research. Cardiac Rehabilitation volunteer ~80 hours. Resident advisor (don't know if it counts haha)

Volunteer: ~130 hours (80 out, 40 in)
 
Your stats are the worst out there... Your pre req GPA isn't too bad. Retaking the GRE is probably good. Maybe get a few more observation hours if you can. Will you have good letters of rec?

If you are worried look through some schools on PTCAS that have lower GPAs. One director straight up told me if she could pick between a B student with good extra curriculars and an A student with none she would pick the B student every time. It looks like you have a lot going on outside of the typical school stuff so that is great.
 
Thank you for the fast reply. I actually have really great letters of recommendations. 1MD, 2 Pathology professors, and 1 PT. I understand that i'm on the really low end of applications and i'll try to get in more volunteer hours and do well on the GRE. What do you guys think is weighed more, outpatient or inpatient?