Reapplicant Contingency Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walter Raleigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice if this cycle doesn't turn out well and I wind up as a reapplicant. My stats are as follows, as of now:

820 hours research with 3 poster presentations
500 hours on ambulance corps as attendant
100 hours volunteering in local emergency room
130 hours nonclinical volunteering - mentoring students, soup kitchens, miscellaneous stuff.
50 hours with Habitat for Humanity
500 hours as private MCAT tutor.
50 hours shadowing local doctors - radiology, emergency medicine, physiatry.
1500 hours as triathlete (trained and competed solo; was not on a college or any other team)
GPA: cGPA 3.60, sGPA 3.59. U-shaped trend, 3.80/3.46/3.50/3.80. Switched my major senior year to mathematics from biology - so there isn't a great trend with performance in science classes.
MCAT: 520, 130/130/130/130, late June 2017.
Graduated college in May, 2017.

I'm thinking about a few potential plans:
  • Apply again in June, 2019, to MD and DO schools.
  • Take two more years off, and do a DIY postbacc to raise my GPA to 3.7.
  • Work with troubled teens in the wilderness for a year, then apply in June 2020.
  • Do Americorps VISTA service for a year, then apply in June 2020.
By the next application cycle - by June, 2019 - I should have about 600 hours of tutoring, 750 hours on the ambulance corps, and 150 hours with Habitat for Humanity.

Is there anything that stands out to you? If I applied in 2020, I'd need to retake that 520 MCAT...and that's slightly worrisome. Wouldn't want to let a score like that go to waste.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

First, great job on the MCAT!

If you had a good school list and applied early enough, you should have success with your GPA/MCAT combination. You have great ECs.

To help others give you advice, you should probably include your school list. I have a feeling you'll get at least a few MD II's this cycle.

Don't wait to apply in 2020. If you don't get in this cycle, then apply next cycle. There's still life in this cycle for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think you'd be a reapplicant? I feel like you will def get in this year

Why do you think you'd be a reapplicant? I feel like you will def get in this year
It's always good to have a contingency plan - most applicants with my ECs and stats get in, but there are always a few that strike out! There's some reapplicants here with better ECs and stats than mine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be surprised if you don't get in but IF you don't be sure and submit right when it opens up, maybe hire someone (i.e. a professional, not just a friend) to look over your PS.