Reapplicant dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racsagadam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Looking for some advice on what course of action I should take.

My stats and activities:
cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.75, MCAT 511, ORM
1450 hours research (paid and unpaid)
180 hours teaching
600 hours volunteering (clinical and others)
200 hours shadowing
2000+ hours in club (also leadership for 2 years)

2017 cycle: I will admit I severely botched my application, not having enough experiences and inadequate writing.
2018 cycle: I applied to 22 schools, received 1 interview (OOS) and am currently waitlisted there.

Current 2019 cycle situation: I submitted 53 primaries and have been working on my secondaries, however, I realized late last cycle my MCAT is expiring for some schools (took in Sep. 2015) and have been studying again to take it late August. So I am debating my options and wanted some input.

1. I can continue to apply and take the MCAT. I would get my score back in September at which point my app would be "complete" in September. Worried that this is too late in the cycle.

2. I can continue to apply and not take the MCAT. This would narrow down my school list to 28 schools (SKMC, Geisinger, Hofstra, Boston, Tufts, UPenn, Wayne State, Baylor, Tulane, USF Morsani, Wash U, Pitt, U Chicago, Colorado, OSU, Duke, SUNY Upstate, U Miami, Case, Albany, Mich State MD, Wisconsin, Oakland, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Emory, Rutgers, Minnesota). I understand this is reach heavy as I planned to take the MCAT.

3. I can withdraw my applications, take the MCAT this coming year, continue my research, teaching, etc. and apply for the 2020 cycle. Worried it may look bad to withdraw applications and my recommendation letter writers may not appreciate this decision (is this a valid concern?).

I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions you have! Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best option is to just keep moving forward with this cycle. You seem to have reall good stats. It seems based on the info provided (and not knowing your personality at all) that your essays/interviewing skills could use some fine tuning. The best advice anyone ever gave me for essays was “show don’t tell”. This in summary means to share one detailed story about yourself rather than simply listing three brief accomplishments of yours

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@DoctorDragon22 Thanks for the advice! I have definitely been working on showing rather than telling and have had more edits this round. As far as interview prep, I do plan to go through mock interviews with more people.

@gyngyn My state of residence is Michigan

Also a reapplicant. Have you or did you plan on re-writing your personal statement / some of your activities?

Also a reapplicant. Have you or did you plan on re-writing your personal statement / some of your activities?

I submitted my primary already with a completely new personal statement, some new activities entries from the past year, and some tweaked activities entries. I had 1 or 2 stay the same description since others agreed that they were fine as they were.
The reality is everything needs to be revamped. Your message may still be the same but there will be a better way to get it across with potentially a different experience.

@gyngyn My state of residence is Michigan
Your current list has 7 schools where you have a fair chance for an interview.
You may as well apply to those and take all the time you need for the MCAT (in case you have to try again). The others are unlikely to to moved by a subsequent (very late) MCAT, especially if you have previously applied to them.

Your current list has 7 schools where you have a fair chance for an interview.
You may as well apply to those and take all the time you need for the MCAT (in case you have to try again). The others are unlikely to to moved by a subsequent (very late) MCAT, especially if you have previously applied to them.

Thanks gyngyn! What is the reasoning for why schools would not be moved by a higher MCAT score? Is it purely because it is late in the cycle?

Thanks gyngyn! What is the reasoning for why schools would not be moved by a higher MCAT score? Is it purely because it is late in the cycle?
Several of the schools on your list already have applicants with a single much higher score (e.g. Stanford, Vandy, Case...). Others rarely consider OOS (e.g. Rutgers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! Looking for some advice on what course of action I should take.

My stats and activities:
cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.75, MCAT 511, ORM
1450 hours research (paid and unpaid)
180 hours teaching
600 hours volunteering (clinical and others)
200 hours shadowing
2000+ hours in club (also leadership for 2 years)

2017 cycle: I will admit I severely botched my application, not having enough experiences and inadequate writing.
2018 cycle: I applied to 22 schools, received 1 interview (OOS) and am currently waitlisted there.

Current 2019 cycle situation: I submitted 53 primaries and have been working on my secondaries, however, I realized late last cycle my MCAT is expiring for some schools (took in Sep. 2015) and have been studying again to take it late August. So I am debating my options and wanted some input.

1. I can continue to apply and take the MCAT. I would get my score back in September at which point my app would be "complete" in September. Worried that this is too late in the cycle.

2. I can continue to apply and not take the MCAT. This would narrow down my school list to 28 schools (SKMC, Geisinger, Hofstra, Boston, Tufts, UPenn, Wayne State, Baylor, Tulane, USF Morsani, Wash U, Pitt, U Chicago, Colorado, OSU, Duke, SUNY Upstate, U Miami, Case, Albany, Mich State MD, Wisconsin, Oakland, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Emory, Rutgers, Minnesota). I understand this is reach heavy as I planned to take the MCAT.

3. I can withdraw my applications, take the MCAT this coming year, continue my research, teaching, etc. and apply for the 2020 cycle. Worried it may look bad to withdraw applications and my recommendation letter writers may not appreciate this decision (is this a valid concern?).

I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions you have! Thanks all!
Here's a more realistic list:
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Pitt (maybe )
U IA (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Seton Hall
Nova MD
All MI schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. As a reapplicant, you need DO schools on the list. Beggars can't be choosy.

Here's a more realistic list:
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Pitt (maybe )
U IA (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Seton Hall
Nova MD
All MI schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. As a reapplicant, you need DO schools on the list. Beggars can't be choosy.

Thanks Goro! Will definitely add the schools I missed. Would you suggest applying to Texas schools through TMDSAS?