reapplicant essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any tips on how to approach the "reapplicant essay" on secondaries?
i.e.: "Have you previously applied to our school? If so, please detail what has changed since you last applied."

would writing about my new research experience and what I gained from it be a good topic?

i'm not sure if adcoms are looking for a self-reflection essay or just describing why I am a better applicant this time around

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have any tips on how to approach the "reapplicant essay" on secondaries?
i.e.: "Have you previously applied to our school? If so, please detail what has changed since you last applied."

would writing about my new research experience and what I gained from it be a good topic?

i'm not sure if adcoms are looking for a self-reflection essay or just describing why I am a better applicant this time around

thanks!
I literally described what had changed over the past year, and also included some self growth and reflection. I can send you mine, if you'd like.

I literally described what had changed over the past year, and also included some self growth and reflection. I can send you mine, if you'd like.

Thank you! That is so nice of you, I would really appreciate it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to @femmegoblue ! I am going to just write down what I've improved and focus on writing about combatting weaknesses from last go-around.

Reactions: 1 users

thanks!

For that section I just concisely went through what I had added to my application. I wrote a greatly improved personal statement and included some of the stuff that had changed from the year before and perspective on it. Both interviewers at the school I am matriculating at commented on how blown away they were with the new personal statement. So an unrelated tip that helped me in my reapplication/acceptance quest was to nail the second personal statement! Good luck!

thanks!

Hello, I'm just wondering how it went? I am in your position one year later, and I am hoping you might have some advice to offer with specific regards to the reapplication essay questions... I'm dumbfounded.

To all, if anyone else has any advice to offer to a re-applicant, with specific regards to addressing the re-applicant essay questions, I have very welcoming ears and would be very grateful! Any advice at all would be very appreciated.

To all, if anyone else has any advice to offer to a re-applicant, with specific regards to addressing the re-applicant essay questions, I have very welcoming ears and would be very grateful! Any advice at all would be very appreciated.
You might be surprised how often the prompt is not actually answered.
If the prompt asks for what you learned, tell them.
If they just ask what has changed since the last application, go ahead and give an update.
The weakest answers are the "all spin" ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be surprised how often the prompt is not actually answered.
If the prompt asks for what you learned, tell them.
If they just ask what has changed since the last application, go ahead and give an update.
The weakest answers are the "all spin" ones.

Thanks! I will certainly keep that in mind... that can be frustrating enough in conversation, never mind an essay response with ample time to come up with a response.

Reactions: 1 user