Reapplicant for the next cycle. Will I need more EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Julatteluver

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!
 
Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)
 
I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!
I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)
Thank you! Now i realize the importance of submitting extra early...ahaha

I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity
I am currently trying to get a volunteer position at a suicide prevention hotline center. I know it's not considered clinical, but I thought I would want to volunteer for somethign that I deeply care about. Plus getting clinical experience here (nyc) has been nothing but impossible due to covid. I will try to look for one though, thank you.
 
I also encourage you to do something clinical and not rely on what you did in the past. The suicide prevention work may work, especially if you are considering psychiatry.