This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

avocado toast

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently unemployed after applying last cycle (3.9x, 513) and receiving 2 II -> 2 WLs. I have already submitted 30+ MD apps and am currently working on 6 DO schools, however I need to find a job and I am unsure what type of opportunity to look for. On my application I have 4000 hours as a medical assistant, 650 hours nonclinical volunteering, 250 hours clinical volunteering, 300 hours research, 200 hours paid tutoring, and 2000 hours paid leadership. I quit my job as an MA a month ago and have been applying to paid research positions with no luck. At the moment, I privately tutor (5 hrs/week), volunteer (4 hrs/week) within my community, and will start shadowing soon.

I wrote on a majority of my secondaries that I plan on doing research this year (since it’s a weakness in my application?). Does anyone have insight into what kind of job I should look for to strengthen my app? I'm torn between (a) volunteering in a research lab since I can't find a paid position, (b) becoming a MA again, (c) volunteering with Americorps, or (d) any other suggestions?

If it helps, I did ask for feedback from a few schools last cycle; 1 school told me to rewrite essays (which I did), 1 school told me to retake the MCAT (513, but 125 c/p), 1 school told me to shadow and do research, 1 school I interviewed at told me no weaknesses as long as I had a productive year (I added a new volunteer position, new job tutoring, and +2000 additional MA hours since last cycle).