Jul 3, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently unemployed after applying last cycle (3.9x, 513) and receiving 2 II -> 2 WLs. I have already submitted 30+ MD apps and am currently working on 6 DO schools, however I need to find a job and I am unsure what type of opportunity to look for. On my application I have 4000 hours as a medical assistant, 650 hours nonclinical volunteering, 250 hours clinical volunteering, 300 hours research, 200 hours paid tutoring, and 2000 hours paid leadership. I quit my job as an MA a month ago and have been applying to paid research positions with no luck. At the moment, I privately tutor (5 hrs/week), volunteer (4 hrs/week) within my community, and will start shadowing soon.

I wrote on a majority of my secondaries that I plan on doing research this year (since it’s a weakness in my application?). Does anyone have insight into what kind of job I should look for to strengthen my app? I'm torn between (a) volunteering in a research lab since I can't find a paid position, (b) becoming a MA again, (c) volunteering with Americorps, or (d) any other suggestions?

If it helps, I did ask for feedback from a few schools last cycle; 1 school told me to rewrite essays (which I did), 1 school told me to retake the MCAT (513, but 125 c/p), 1 school told me to shadow and do research, 1 school I interviewed at told me no weaknesses as long as I had a productive year (I added a new volunteer position, new job tutoring, and +2000 additional MA hours since last cycle).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.