reapplicant problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ag9145

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied and was waitlisted at four schools last year, two top 50 and 1 top 25, after applying to fifteen schools. I did not have my application complete until mid November last year and figured this was a major reason for me receiving any acceptances. I have reapplied to 30 schools this year and have shadowed, worked as a transporter in a hospital, and worked on outcomes research. My cGPA also went from a 3.47 to a 3.41 since my last application, but my science gpa stayed the same. Is this the most likely reason I have not received any interviews this cycle? Especially for the ones I was waitlisted at?

I am also submitting an update soon with 1-2 abstracts from my outcomes research depending on if they are both ready in time, and I am beginning a scribe job. Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation that this update may help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you add DO schools and a bunch of nonranked MD?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats, school list, and when did you submit your secondaries? What improvements have you made since your last application?

I applied and was waitlisted at four schools last year, two top 50 and 1 top 25, after applying to fifteen schools. I did not have my application complete until mid November last year and figured this was a major reason for me receiving any acceptances. I have reapplied to 30 schools this year and have shadowed, worked as a transporter in a hospital, and worked on outcomes research. My cGPA also went from a 3.47 to a 3.41 since my last application, but my science gpa stayed the same. Is this the most likely reason I have not received any interviews this cycle? Especially for the ones I was waitlisted at?

I am also submitting an update soon with 1-2 abstracts from my outcomes research depending on if they are both ready in time, and I am beginning a scribe job. Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation that this update may help?
MCAT score? Your GPA is not in "Top 25" territory.

Reactions: 2 users
513 mcat and a good story of battling a lot of adversity throughout undergrad without taking off class which is can account for the low gpa somewhat. My top 25 interview was definitely a result of my story

What are your stats, school list, and when did you submit your secondaries? What improvements have you made since your last application?
I reapplied earlier assuming shadowing would be my slight improvement and I am now about to submit my update of scribing and research abstracts as further improvement

I was as surprised as anyone to receive the interview. I sent in my application as one huge reach school. I was in the bottom 10% of scores for the school.

I reapplied earlier assuming shadowing would be my slight improvement and I am now about to submit my update of scribing and research abstracts as further improvement
I want to help but you’re not answering my questions.

Reactions: 1 users

So you basically reapplied with the same application? ADCOMS expect significant(not slight) improvement from reapplicants. You probably should have skipped a cycle and revamped your whole application. Lots of schools even say the biggest mistake a reapplycant makes is reapplying too soon.

I want to help but you’re not answering my questions.
3.41 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 513 mcat. I’m still waiting to hear back from;
Complete last week of August for:
Baylor
Duke
Emory
Fiu
FSU
GW
NOVA
Ohio state
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UCLA
Usf
UCF
Uf
Uva
Vanderbilt
Interview waitlist for:
UArizona
Penn state

Not complete until mid September due to CASPer:
Stony brook
Tulane
UM
Temple
FAU

Again, I interviewed at 4/15 schools and was not complete until mid november so I thought that was my biggest problem. My major improvement on my primary was extra shadowing hours, as I previously only had 40 hours shadowing one specialty, and working in a hospitality. I am sending in an update in the next couple of weeks that I am now scribing and submitting research for publication

Members don't see this ad :)
If there's anything I've learned this year is that story takes you no where and no one cares. Your stats are really low teir MD and DO range with that GPA. Your story adds nothing. Use the Lizzy M calculator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Again, I interviewed at 4/15 schools and was not complete until mid november so I thought that was my biggest problem. My major improvement on my primary was extra shadowing hours, as I previously only had 40 hours shadowing one specialty, and working in a hospitality. I am sending in an update in the next couple of weeks that I am now scribing and submitting research for publication

Without seeing your entire AMCAS application it's a little difficult to say why you haven't gotten any traction this year. The late applications we receive are generally assumed to be for one of two reasons: (1) the applicant was not ready for the cycle, or (2) the applicant has not had any luck with other schools, and is now adding more in desperation. Neither situation is lethal, it just doesn't paint you in the best light.

We obviously get reapplicants every year. Sometimes they generate increased interest from the committee, other times they feel like yesterday's news. If you don't have any luck this time, contact all the schools you applied to and see if you can get some feedback on your application. Even just one kindhearted admissions office can give you some insight into your situation. I personally would not recommend taking three successive swings. Take a year or more between the second and third tries. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

and add some dang DO schools if there is a next time, you are giving away money everytime you don't make it

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor
Duke
Fiu
FSU
Ohio state
UCLA
Usf
UCF
Uf
Uva
Vanderbilt
Stony brook
UM
FAU

The above were all donations, unless you're an FL resident.
I’m a FL resident and received an interview from 3 of the above last cycle. I completely understand your reaction, I sound like a low tier applicant and I have lower scores. I applied to higher schools only on the advice of people who were previously on admissions committees. Due to the fact that I received 4/15 interviews and two were to mid tier schools and one to an upper tier school I would assume it’s due to my story. Given that, my biggest question was why there would I have not had similar success this year. From the responses I’m gathering that it’s due to not making large enough improvements in my app and being a reapplicant. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong or there would be any other reason. Could it be due to the slight drop in my cGPA Or does that not really matter too much?

Last edited:
I’m a FL resident and received an interview from 3 of the above last cycle. I completely understand your reaction, I sound like a low tier applicant and I have lower scores. I applied to higher schools only on the advice of people who were previously on admissions committees. Due to the fact that I received 4/15 interviews and two were to mid tier schools and one to an upper tier school I would assume it’s due to my story. Given that, my biggest question was why there would I have not had similar success this year. From the responses I’m gathering that it’s due to not making large enough improvements in my app and being a reapplicant. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong or there would be any other reason. Could it be due to the slight drop in my cGPA Or does that not really matter too much?
It’s because you didn’t apply DO broadly too. If you had, right now you would be posting about “Should I pay this deposit to reserve my acceptance since I still have 3 interviews next month?”

Why didn’t you significantly broaden your approach?

To the list of problems add interview skills.
The drop in the GPA shouldn't hurt, but definitely won't help.

To reiterate, you may have a compelling story, but it didn't help seal the deal. You're going to need something extra now, like aceing some post-bac classes or and SMP.

Definitely putting in a lot of work on my interviewing skills to get make sure I can seal the deal this time. I applied to a few DO schools but I’m hesitant to do DO because I feel strongly I want to do surgery and I fear that would make getting a good allopathic residency very difficult if not impossible. I’m thinking I will try for an SMP with a conditional acceptance. Thank you all for helping me. I appreciate all of the advice

Definitely putting in a lot of work on my interviewing skills to get make sure I can seal the deal this time. I applied to a few DO schools but I’m hesitant to do DO because I feel strongly I want to do surgery and I fear that would make getting a good allopathic residency very difficult if not impossible. I’m thinking I will try for an SMP with a conditional acceptance. Thank you all for helping me. I appreciate all of the advice
Beggars can't be choosy.

Beggars can't be choosy.
Very true, which is why I’m willing to put in the time and money of an SMP and retaking the mcat in order to be choosy. I’m confident I can make the grades and reprouce if not improve my mcat score. Im only 22 so I feel that I have the time to do this. I also would like to hear people’s opinions on DO vs a SMP. Am I correct in saying that a decent allopathic surgical residency would be extremely difficult or impossible?

Very true, which is why I’m willing to put in the time and money of an SMP and retaking the mcat in order to be choosy. I’m confident I can make the grades and reprouce if not improve my mcat score. Im only 22 so I feel that I have the time to do this. I also would like to hear people’s opinions on DO vs a SMP. Am I correct in saying that a decent allopathic surgical residency would be extremely difficult or impossible?
Hard, but not impossible as a DO.

I would be happy to give you feedback on your PS, if you want.

Your GPA is a bit low but your metrics are fine for MD. If you are hesitant about the osteopathic route then don't pursue it yet. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you aren't satisfied with the only acceptance you have.