Reapplicant Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldamnnn

Reaction score
Is being a re-applicant bad for my chances?
  • I want to apply this year in the off-chance that I might get into my dream school (USC), but I know I have a way better chance of getting in next year than I do this year because I'm taking an extra year, which will potentially boost my GPA a lot.
  • Additionally, if I get into my non-schools-of-choice this cycle I might use it as a practice round to get interview experience and whatnot.
  • I will have to apply late in the cycle (September) because I have one physics course I need to complete in the fall
My question is, is this a stupid idea? If I don't get into my dream school, and I apply as a re-applicant, are they less likely to look at my application? Do I have to write a secondary essay on why I'm applying again?

I don't care about including my stats or my DAT scores here because I'm not asking for my chances, but rather if being a re-applicant can affect my chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't waste money by applying late and do not use the application cycle as practice for interviews, just do actual mock interviews with dental students (check out the ASDA websites or Instagrams of many dental schools since they often offer them there) and look up sample questions to practice.
If you are sure that you want to apply, you can apply without having certain classes complete, do not delay your application for one pre-req class (if it was the whole series it would be a different case), applying as close to June 1st as you can increases your chances greatly.

Also USC is the most expensive dental school in the US, please consider how you will pay for it, i.e. consider the Military HPSP scholarship, NHSC, or other major scholarships that often require you to begin an application the year before you would attend. As a reapplicant, you would need to apply broadly to many schools based on your stats, DAT, and cost of attendance (consider schools that offer in-state tuition after a year as well) and you would need your application to be significantly improved in some way (i.e. change LORs, improve GPA or DAT, or have a new substantial dental extracurricular/work experiences), so I do not recommend doing an application cycle as practice, it is not a race.

Reactions: 4 users
As a reapplicant, you would need to apply broadly to many schools based on your stats, DAT, and cost of attendance (consider schools that offer in-state tuition after a year as well) and you would need your application to be significantly improved in some way (i.e. change LORs, improve GPA or DAT, or have a new substantial dental extracurricular/work experiences), so I do not recommend doing an application cycle as practice, it is not a race.

I'm sorry I think I'm a little confused on what you're saying. What do you mean by "As a reapplicant, you would need to apply broadly to many schools based on your stats"?. Does this imply that being a reapplicant looks so bad that I'd need to widen my horizons? I think what I'm trying to figure out is. I have somewhat of a chance of getting into USC this year, but the chance is better next year because I'll be doing a year of undergrad classes. If I apply this year and don't get in, will that look bad/negative to the school when I apply a second time? Will they pick up my application and say ew it's her again I don't want to read this (even though I'll have a better GPA and extracurriculars). I'd feel so bad and have so many regrets thinking what if I had applied in 2022 I could've gotten in a year earlier, but I also don't want to ruin my chances for the following year if its TRULY negative to be a reapplicant. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted at two schools for my first cycle, then i reapplied after improving my DAT and didn't get an interview with those two schools. I did get interviews from other schools i re-applied to however.

I was waitlisted at two schools for my first cycle, then i reapplied after improving my DAT and didn't get an interview with those two schools. I did get interviews from other schools i re-applied to however.
im so confused why do schools do this, i don't understand? why is being a reapplicant so dang bad??....

Don't waste money by applying late
If the dream school is USC, I don't think they care.
OP, I would recommend researching this school and what their students say before you turn down every other school.

If the dream school is USC, I don't think they care.
OP, I would recommend researching this school and what their students say before you turn down every other school.
Ofcourse.

Can someone give me a firm confirmation if reapplying is bad so that I can let go of this 2022 application cycle. Its crazy how I had never heard these issues of being a reapplicant before. I thought "oh, why not, worst that'll happen is they won't accept me and I can always apply next year"

• I want to apply this year in the off-chance that I might get into my dream school (USC), but I know I have a way better chance of getting in next year than I do this year because I'm taking an extra year, which will potentially boost my GPA a lot.
  • Additionally, if I get into my non-schools-of-choice this cycle I might use it as a practice round to get interview experience and whatnot.
  • I will have to apply late in the cycle (September) because I have one physics course I need to complete in the fall
My question is, is this a stupid idea? If I don't get into my dream school, and I apply as a re-applicant, are they less likely to look at my application? Do I have to write a secondary essay on why I'm applying again?

I don't care about including my stats or my DAT scores here because I'm not asking for my chances, but rather if being a re-applicant can affect my chances of getting in.
Apply next year, do not apply and use a cycle as 'practice.' Some schools won't accept students who have previously been accepted and rejected that acceptance (ex. Touro.)

As a reapplicant you will have to mark that on AADSAS, list the schools you previously applied to, and you have a section where you have to write what has changed since last cycle. Most reapplicants also alter their Personal Statement slightly to align better with their new application. Depending on how USC's admissions committee works, yes, it could hurt your chances as a reapplicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Ofcourse.

Can someone give me a firm confirmation if reapplying is bad so that I can let go of this 2022 application cycle. Its crazy how I had never heard these issues of being a reapplicant before. I thought "oh, why not, worst that'll happen is they won't accept me and I can always apply next year"
it gets discussed multiple times each year
i would bet a search of the term "reapplicant" or "reapply" or "reapplying" would have given you tons of hits...

my dream school (USC)
95846660-228C-4400-B3C8-5213A0465C2D.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
what else? thats the only thing ppl seem to mention
from one of your other posts:
"I like their PBL based learning, and I've talked to a couple of students that are D1s and love the school and all the faculty."

i would've said PBL, but you obviously have looked into that
i think you might want to talk to more than a couple D1 students...

Being a re-applicant isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can pin-point where you went wrong and how to improve. Getting into dental school is competitive and having an acceptance is already a big accomplishment. There is also no guarantee that you will ever be accepted into your "Dream" school. Yes you will have to write an essay explaining what changed since your last application. You don't have to wait to complete your physics course to apply. If you have a good application, applying in September is okay, although not ideal but I would do everything to present a good application and enter the cycle with the idea to start dental school the following year. Applying takes a lot of time and money, don't apply and use a cycle a "test" run. Hope that helps.

I'm sorry I think I'm a little confused on what you're saying. What do you mean by "As a reapplicant, you would need to apply broadly to many schools based on your stats"?. Does this imply that being a reapplicant looks so bad that I'd need to widen my horizons? I think what I'm trying to figure out is. I have somewhat of a chance of getting into USC this year, but the chance is better next year because I'll be doing a year of undergrad classes. If I apply this year and don't get in, will that look bad/negative to the school when I apply a second time? Will they pick up my application and say ew it's her again I don't want to read this (even though I'll have a better GPA and extracurriculars). I'd feel so bad and have so many regrets thinking what if I had applied in 2022 I could've gotten in a year earlier, but I also don't want to ruin my chances for the following year if its TRULY negative to be a reapplicant. Ugh.
What I mean is that as a reapplicant some schools may discriminate as (from my experience last cycle) I saw that many schools 1) had a question asking if you were a reapplicant to their school and 2) had extra supplemental questions asking things like "What have you done since your last application?" or "How have you personally grown as a person or improved your statistics since your last application?". Why else would they asking these questions other than to put an extra barrier between you and an acceptance?
They will ask you in interviews why you applied when you were not ready and if your answer is from a place of poor judgement, like just wanting to "practice" by spending $1000s+ on an application cycle when you weren't ready, they will judge you on that as well. Some schools also may not accept previously submitted LORs or request at least 1 new letter, which can be harder to sort out since your goal is to submit the best application that you can from the get go. You would need to apply broadly since your application has already been seen and rejected by your ideal schools and you would need to make a compelling case for them to reconsider their decision vs the ease in applying to schools that you didn't apply to in your first cycle that haven't seen your application yet or have any negative notes about you on file.

Reactions: 1 user
Ofcourse.

Reapplying is not bad if you show appropriate improvement, especially in areas that are obviously holding your application back.

Also, submit an early, completed application, preferably by July 4.

Just like marriage, it is a mistake to "submit a practice application."