Reapplicant School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drastig

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I originally applied during the 2017 cycle, which led to 5 interviews (3 WL; 2 R). I'm already preparing me re-application and need some help with my school list. I've done a lot of clinical research, and I know I need to up my clinical/shadowing game, so this coming cycle I will be switching jobs from a clinical research assistant to a medical scribe. I will also be doing more shadowing with MDs and DOs and volunteering at a hospital.

I am a NJ resident and went to school in Manhattan. This is what I have for my school list so far. I think I was too confident in myself the last cycle, and didn't apply as broadly as I should have. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any more suggestions. Thank you!

GPA: 3.85
SGPA:3.76
MCAT: 515 (128/127/130/130)

MD:
Albany Medical College
Boston University
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Lewis Katz SOM at Temple University
New York Medical College
New York University
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson University
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
University of Pittsburgh

DO:
Lake Erie COM
NYIT
Philadelphia COM
Touro COM
Rowan University SOM

Members don't see this ad.

I was interviewed at:
Hofstra
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Temple
Drexel

I also applied to:

New York Medical College
Einstein
Mt. Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Weill Cornell
Stonybrook
UPenn
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Loyola
BU
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
Northwestern

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already made the improvements to your app or are you planning on counting future hours for volunteering/clinical experience?

Have you already made the improvements to your app or are you planning on counting future hours for volunteering/clinical experience?

I started the shadowing but the rest of the improvements will have to be counted as future hours. My start dates aren't until after June 1st.

Part of me wants to say hold off because you haven't actually made any improvements, while the other half of me thinks that your app is pretty decent as you received 5 IIs. Applying now without those hours is going to look funny and could put you at risk of a third cycle. Things could always work out, but several schools say the biggest mistake reapplicants make is reapplying TOO SOON. Also, work on your interview skills - 2 post II rejections says something went wrong there.

Last edited:
Part of me wants to say hold off because you haven't actually made any improvements, while the other half of me thinks that your app is pretty decent as you received 5 IIs. Applying now without those hours is going to look funny and could put you at risk of a third cycle. Things could always work out, but several schools say the biggest mistake reapplicants make is reapplying TOO SOON. Also, work on your interview skills - 2 post II rejections says something went wrong there.
Agree 100%. Not getting nay love from your state school suggest poor interviewing skills, or weak LORs.

Agree 100%. Not getting nay love from your state school suggest poor interviewing skills, or weak LORs.
I agree that my interviewing skills were the biggest reason for the two rejections--first on nerves and the second being asked to talk about myself for 30 minutes without much prompting--and 3 WLS (2 from my state schools). I'm definitely going to prepare more this upcoming season. However, since I'm applying to about 11 new schools how do you think my improvements will fare? What about mid cycle updates?

I agree that my interviewing skills were the biggest reason for the two rejections--first on nerves and the second being asked to talk about myself for 30 minutes without much prompting--and 3 WLS (2 from my state schools). I'm definitely going to prepare more this upcoming season. However, since I'm applying to about 11 new schools how do you think my improvements will fare? What about mid cycle updates?
Won't know until you try.
Updates are only good to schools that welcome them.
Apply with the best possible app, even if in means skipping a cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Won't know until you try.
Updates are only good to schools that welcome them.
Apply with the best possible app, even if in means skipping a cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

After thinking about it, I think it would be best to hold off this cycle for re-application to build a better application. I've also started looking into some SMP programs since I will have two years--one full year and one year during an application cycle. Do you think it would be a good idea to work on scribing/shadowing/volunteering this upcoming year and then (hopefully) pursue a masters during the application cycle?

After thinking about it, I think it would be best to hold off this cycle for re-application to build a better application. I've also started looking into some SMP programs since I will have two years--one full year and one year during an application cycle. Do you think it would be a good idea to work on scribing/shadowing/volunteering this upcoming year and then (hopefully) pursue a masters during the application cycle?
Yes.

An SMP would be a waste of money in your case. You have a 3.85/3.76. If you want another masters degree for the sake of your future career or just out of sheer interest, then go for it, otherwise you don't need GPA repair. If anything, you risk performing poorly in the SMP and damaging your application

Last edited:
An SMP would be a waste of money in your case. You have a 3.85/3.76. If you want another masters degree for the sake of your future career or just out of sheer interest, then go for it, otherwise you don't need GPA repair. If anything, you risk performing poorly in the SMP and damaging your application
I agree with this. SMP is high risk low reward. Plus it's like another 80 grand. Think of what you could do with all that money.

For schools, take of anything like Penn and Columbia and add some middle/low tier schools. Seems like you want to stay on the east coast, but consider more schools in Chicago (Rush) and Detroit (Wayne State) as well. If you're applying DO again, apply really broadly to DO schools.

I don't think OP needs to apply DO. Her MCAT and GPA are plenty fine for MD.