Reapplicant Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you be considered a reapplicant by the application system if you apply to any university? If I apply to one uni in USA would the rest consider me a reapplicant? What about Canada? Is it as bad to be a reapplicant in Canada?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be considered a reapplicant by the application system if you apply to any university? If I apply to one uni in USA would the rest consider me a reapplicant? What about Canada? Is it as bad to be a reapplicant in Canada?

Thanks

Why does anyone care if it looks bad to be a re-applicant? I am so confused. If you are applying to undergrad (which is how your questions sounds) no-one cares. There is a central application service for each type of medical school. Once you apply through the service, even if it's one school and you didn't get in then you would be considered a re-applicant.

So you didn't get in the first time, you re-apply and hopefull the cards fall in your favor and get an acceptance somewhere.

OR...... You continue to be so darn worried about "how it looks to be a re-applicant" and don't re-apply to save face and find a different career.

It's just that I hear that reapplicants have a tougher admission process and are less preferred due to being reapplicants? Could anyone please verify that?

Members don't see this ad :)
It think that is probably school dependent if it matters at all. I say that because I applied 4 times before I was accepted and no one ever said anything about it except for a comment about perseverance.

So is it good to reapply? I am getting ABSOLUTELY 180 degree answers on this forum. Is someone sabotaging me or something??? People are saying that reapplying puts you in a worse position because you look like a failure. But you say that they thought of perseverance (a true sign of willingness to be a doctor).

Which is right, for once and for all? I have asked this question about 10 times here.

First let me say that I am NOT the AUTHORITY here but I do have the experience of having to reapply multiple times in order to gain admission.

So.....

If you think there is a stigma about being a re-applicant then DO NOT APPLY to medical school until you think your application is s perfect as you can get.

However.....

There are 1000's of applications every year for 100's of slots. Everyone has stellar EC's, grades and MCAT's and in my view not everyone gets in each year because schools like a well-rounded class and there are always those who gain admission because of a great story, great experiences, but may not have the greatest numbers.

My point..... Getting into medical school is really the luck of the draw for most students. Only the top best get in on the first try - that's just the reality of it. To go through the process thinking that being a re-applicant can be detrimental somehow is not some thing that I believe. Other's may disagree with me but the majority of folks who post in these forums are not even accepted yet whereas I applied 4 times (3 years in a row) and was finally accepted because my story was great, my numbers ok, and my timing getting my app in was just right.

NO ONE CAN GIVE YOU AN ABSOLUTE. It comes down to you but to obsess about not being a re-applicant I think is only unnecessary mental anguish that you may not have control over.

So is it good to reapply? I am getting ABSOLUTELY 180 degree answers on this forum. Is someone sabotaging me or something??? People are saying that reapplying puts you in a worse position because you look like a failure. But you say that they thought of perseverance (a true sign of willingness to be a doctor).

Which is right, for once and for all? I have asked this question about 10 times here.
In general, your first application is your best chance at success in a competitive environment. Being a re-applicant is not "better" than being a first time applicant, but if you want to be a physician and especially if you have a better strategy there is no reason not to try again (it's your only path to physicianhood). It is also true that you will be seen as "pre-screened" by many admissions committees so it is especially important to focus on schools that might interview you and less on "reach" schools.