Reapplicant with low gpa and high MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year with a 3.0 gpa and 24 MCAT. I only had two interviews and got waitlisted. I retook the MCAT and made a 31. My gpa has only improved to a 3.1. I am planning to take the MCP Hahanemann IMS program this year, but I do not know which schools I should apply to this year. Please help. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Heather,

Well done on your mcat improvement! I am in much the same boat as you – lower gpa and improved 7 points on my mcat to 30+. This is my second year applying and I'm considering my state school along with a local DO school. For me it's all about location and the financial situation (married w/ 2 kids) – but that's another string.

Anyway, there's a lot to be said about that improvement. Have you spoken w/ any admissions people at any schools. I would suggest getting some face time. Since my last application, I've spoken with one dean in particular, and even though she isn't on the ADCOM, she will be presenting my application to the ADCOM and asking them to strongly consider my position in life as well as the committment I've shown. Point is, in speaking with her a few times, she has had the opportunity to get to know me and understands that I will be a strong candidate. Lots of other details I won't go into, but face time is very valuable.

Best of luck – one other question – do your grades show a strong trend toward better grades later – that is also a huge help and a good topic to discuss. Stay committed.

Can I ask both of you how many schools you applied to? I am in the same exact situation.

Thanks guys and best of luck.

NeUrO

Members don't see this ad :)
NeUrO,

Last year I pigeon-holed myself to one school. I made that decision based on the fact that even if I got in somewhere else, I would have applied to my state school again - strictly for financial reasons. This year, I'll still have to stay close to home. I'm one of the unfortunate few that really can't afford to leave - I stand to lose way too much at this point in my life by leaving everything I've worked for here. If you're not tied down - I say shotgun those things(aps) out there and follow the calling.

Best of luck.

Jetson,

I agree. I feel that my gpa doesnt really represent my work in school. I've had to over come many obstacles such as my father being laid off (basically I had to work 30 hrs a week in addition to class if i wanted to stay in school) and my best friend committed suicide during my sophmore year etc... I'm not complaining but I'm proud of what I've done to get where I am today. I recognize that I might not get in this go around but, what the hell, medicine is what I want to do.

I'm sure your the same way. Keep the faith!

Neuro

NeUrO,

Wow - dad lost work my sophomore year college - suicidal girlfriend in HS - enough said...

What makes us unique is what we take away from our experiences, not just the experiences themselves. You just make sure that the adcom knows who you are and how you got there. Leave them no doubt about your "real life" preparation for this challenge. (just don't dwell and feel sorry for yourself if it doesn't work out).

Go get 'em!

A couple things, which come from having gone through this process already:

1. I wouldn't call a 31 on the MCAT "high", in fact, it is below average for most of the tougher schools (esp. for non URMs).

2. You'll find that schools generally don't care why your GPA is low, just that it is low. There are plenty of pre-meds that managed high GPAs despite extraordinarily tough personal circumstances, so I wouldn't use that as an excuse in any essays.

Other than that, just apply to plenty of back-ups and hold on loosely. :D

Let me guess - you're a realist, not a pessimist....

I hear what you're saying, but there's more to it than numbers, that's why schools have "averages" in the first place. Some admitted have higher scores and some have lower numbers. Sometimes, it's about the person - even at competitive schools. ;)

You obviously haven't applied yet, Jetson. You'll soon come to learn that the whole personal attributes crap that med. school adcoms claim to care so much about isn't as important as the bread-and-butter GPA and MCAT score.
Look, I'm not trying to sound harsh, or be an dingus, I'm just giving advice that my pre-med counselor should have given me 10 months ago. I'd rather have a 35 MCAT and a high GPA with zero extracurriculars any day than super impressive extracurriculars/life experiences with a 31 MCAT and a very low GPA. This process is just too competitive/random to really assume that a tired adcom member will actually care about your essay on how you volunteered your time when you barely made double digits on each section of the test, and are sitting next to the app. of someone with straight 13's.

Good luck anyways.

Sorry, Jetson, I just read your earlier message that you applied last year!!! Oh well, I think you understand my point, sort of. ;) ;) ;)

ghettobird,

While I agree w/ just about everything you said (I too would rather have higher grades and mcats) - I'm still a "glass is half full" kind of guy. I do know of a 5,7,7 and a 3.4gpa that got into a state school and it was totally because the adcom was taken by her comittment and experience. They met her and basically said that they had to have her in their program. I will admit that she is the rarest of exceptions and no one should base expectations on her case, however, a 19 mcat is a far cry from a 31. So if it can happen to a 19 willing to make the effort - why not a 31.

Give the "tired" adcoms a little more credit, relax and go have a drink of H20 - your glass is half full too - maybe you just need to look at it upside down. It's all about perspective.

Any last words are yours...

Heather, you have the exact same GPA and MCAT score I have right now. I'm impressed you actually got 2 interviews! Which 2 schools gave you the interviews?

I know we pre-meds with low GPAs are facing almost unsurmountable odds, but I really don't want to give up before I even apply.

Do you think there's a chance for someone that has F's and D's on their record but repeated those courses and got better grades?

Do you think there's a chance for someone that has F's and D's on their record but repeated those courses and got better grades?

The probability of acceptance is higher for osteopathic medical schools than for allopathic schools in this case.

Together