Reapplication Buddies-February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsean

doctorsean
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since i am probably the newest member of the re-app buddies, it may be weird that I start this month's thread, but since the month is almost a third over, I guess its time. So how is everyone hanging in there? I know its hella stressful at this point, but remember we are almost there. I know here in the good ol' Midwest most schools must let you know of your status by the Ides of March so its do or die time, ok bad phrasing. The journey only makes the destination feel that much better. We can all get there.
Myself, I am just sitting here waiting to hear back from my most recent round of interviews before I head out on one maybe two more depending on if I hear anything positive. To date--6 interviews, 1 wait list, and waiting for more things.
I am so frustrated about not hearing anything yet that its hard to go to the comp, but remember this forum is designed to help keep us all sane. Everybody needs the buddy system, and according to this thread we all have plenty. Hope everyone is still fighting the good fight. Hang in there kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey doc sean,

I feel your pain about the interviewing. I wish there was a smilies for twiddling your thumbs! I actually didn't start a thread in Feb because the month was so short. I just extended the Jan thread. It seeems that everyone is busy on those interviews or staying away from SDN to keep their sanity :laugh: Hey, since you are such the initiator (sp), could you do me a favor? I will be out of town, for the first week of March attending a conference for my job. Would you like to start the March thread for me? :love: :love: :D I'd appreciate it. I don't want our buddies thinking I've abandoned them. Alright gotta go. Still waiting patiently to hear something from my schools. :mad: :mad:

Peace,
mrsmac

Guys,

I'm (gasp gasp, cough cough) dying here!!! :scared: +pity+ +pissed+ As you can see, there are several emotions going on in my head. Still waiting to hear something. Let me know how everyone is doing. To make myself feel better, I'm going to go get some Godiva chocolate. My hubby bought me some for Valentine's Day. I'm going to go soak my sorrows in it, and buy myself some new shoes :laugh:

Peace,
mrsmac

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail therapy, always the way to go. Nothing makes you feel good better than a pair of new shoes. You don't have to worry that you ate too much chocolate and now don't fit into anything. I feel the same about handbags and earrings. Keep your chin up mrs mac! Anything you could do to update your file?

What's happening everyone. I just turned 30 on Friday and am continuing to celebrate through this weekend. I figure I better get it out of my system now, right?

Gearing up for my Albany interview in March. Trying to psych myself up into looking like I am still very much in the game, when I'm really starting to be over it. How do people who go to several interviews keep themselves on?

Any other news out there?

I've been getting some good news-- well, depending on your perspective. I'm finally getting word from those pergatory schools. You know, the ones that won't interview you won't reject you? They've all been rejections but the relief they bring negates the sorrow I should be feeling over them. I've also been sending out interest/update letters to those schools I'm desperate to have accept me. Oh, and best news yet-- I FINALLY submitted my FAFSA! Feels good to get that out of the way :)

Hey Buddies,

How is everyone doing? Mrsmac, keep your head up! Everything is gonna work out in the end... It just takes time... :(
In the meantime, yes, buy a new pair of shoes and a new purse to go with them... Love shoes!! :love:

I second Cammy on the "haven't heard a word" schools. Some of them ended up rejecting me this month. I wasn't even sad. It was just a relief. :)

On the bright side, I finally got an interview at Penn State. It's scheduled for monday. Please cross your fingers for me!! Then, I have UVM in 2 weeks... and that's probably gonna be it. Unless UMD decides to show me some love!! :mad:

Still haven't heard back from Dartmouth... getting impatient... +pissed+

Gluck everyone!! It's almost over! :luck:

Hey buddies,

You guys are the greatest! I sent out update letters/LOI for my schools, so we will see what happens. Two of my schools don't complete interviewing until the end of April, so there is still time. I did buy the shoes, and the purse to go with them. Now all I'm missing is the outfit! :D I tried on some stilletos (black-they look like they came out of Fredericks :laugh: ) I walked about 6 feet and almost fell over a display case. :oops: It definitely made me see the lighter side of life. Thanks guys and good luck on those interviews. How do you keep yourself pumped for multiple interviews??? Think of our peers who haven't gotten one yet or are waiting for others-do it for the reapplicants everywhere!! Okay, I need to calm down. Seriously, just do your best and give yourself a treat after it's all over with.

Hey, any takers on starting the March thread for me????

mrsmac

Well kids, i'm about to hop on a plane for my exciting trip to Omaha, Nebraska for my Creighton U interview. Not my number 1, 2, 3, or maybe even number 4 school, but MD from each school is spelt the same. so off I go to the cold frigid upper plains. hope this finds everyone well. no news from any of my other interview schools either, but whats new there. started on the frickin FAFSA....again, hopefully will be using it this time. Anyway, good luck to all, we are entering the home stretch, keep your eyes on the prize kiddies.
i better run, good luck to all, my prayers are with you all.
leaving on a jet plane....
docs

Doctorsean: GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I just discovered this site, and all I can say is what a pleasant surprise. I certainly did not have this in the mid-90s when I applied to medical school two consecutive years. I applied in 2003, and finally, on my fourth application, I am feeling like my dream is about to be realized. I will be sure to keep y'all posted, and hopefully inspired--after all, I am on my 4th application. And yeah, I applied to SGU, just in case the U.S. schools fail to recognize!

doctorsean said:
Well kids, i'm about to hop on a plane for my exciting trip to Omaha, Nebraska for my Creighton U interview. Not my number 1, 2, 3, or maybe even number 4 school, but MD from each school is spelt the same. so off I go to the cold frigid upper plains. hope this finds everyone well. no news from any of my other interview schools either, but whats new there. started on the frickin FAFSA....again, hopefully will be using it this time. Anyway, good luck to all, we are entering the home stretch, keep your eyes on the prize kiddies.
i better run, good luck to all, my prayers are with you all.
leaving on a jet plane....
docs

Good luck dr sean!!! I'll be in your shoes come Tuesday afternoon, headed off to NYMC, amidst all the "scandal" if you can call it that... (they banned a student GBLT group from forming). Kind of nervous that they're going to ask me "So, what do YOU think about the news?" Heck, at least I heard about it beforehand... I can imagine me not knowing and just being like "Well, ummm......." :)

Good luck everyone!!!! We all know it's rough, so I'll spare the sapiness. Keep your heads high!!

-waitman

Well, I have been rejected from all over the place. Just waiting for one more rejection before I officially become a re-applicant (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just more stress that is added... no biggie ;)).

Just wanted to say,

Good luck Docsean and Waitman! :thumbup: :thumbup: :luck: :luck: Hope you guys do really well on those interviews. Let us know how things turn out.

mrsmac

Hi,

Not sure how to begin this, I have one more interview at Wake Forest, and if it doesn't work out, then it looks like I'll be a reapplicant.

I'm a non-traditional applicant, I'm currently taking Physics and Organic Chem to wrap up my pre-requisites, which is probably why I'm seen as not as competitive as other folks who have tons of research experience.

I have a 32 MCAT, I could probably do better now that I'm taking physics and Orgo.. I studied them on my own for the exam last august.
I have a 3.8 gpa, graduated in Sociology - but I took several advanced chemistry courses as an undergrad, Psychology of Health, Sociology of Health. I'm currently volunteering in an ER, and gaining a whole lot of experience there. I have about 2 months left on my committment, and am looking for any suggestions on what I should take up next?

As it looks I may have another year (or 9 months) to gain experience before the next round is up, what is the best thing we can do to improve our application?