reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatiently waiting

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question about reapplying to med. schools. I interviewed at three schools recently (two allo and one osteo). I know I applied late b/c at each shool, they said the class was basically full; I was placed on the alt. list at all three. This year, however, I have already mailed out my primaries (~July 22), so I won't make the same mistake twice. This is my question: am I making a mistake by reapplying less than a year later (particularly for the schools I interviewed at)?
I have talked to a few schools including the ones I interviewed at, and they said it was basically the MCATs (BS-10, PS-8, VS-7 the 1st time; 9,7,9 the 2nd time) and a slightly low sci GPA that hurt me (3.38, overall 3.53). Two schools suggested retaking the MCAT and one said to consider doing a two-year plan.
I graduated this past May and my GPAs went up a little (3.42, overall-3.56). But other than that, my app hasn't really changed. I have signed up for two grad classes, but the grades won't come out until way past the time my secondaries will be out. Because my app is similar to last year's app, and considering what the schools said, will they look at my app and say "He hasn't improved much so why interview him (again)?"
I would appreciate any input on this, especially from anyone that was in the same situation. I would also appreciate any tips on how to let the med schools know that you are improving your chances, but that it is not in the apps. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you are making a mistake at all by applying... especially if you are on alt lists.

Your profile actually doesn't look to bad. Can you please post to which schools you are applying. I think you should be applying to quite a few, ranging in competativeness from less to moderate.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net

Dr. Henderson:

I applied to over 30(!) last year, but have only applied to 10 this year. Do you think that I should apply to more? Here is the list:

U. of Cincinatti
Albert Einstein
Ohio State
U. of Pittsburgh
Medical College of Ohio
Wright State Univ.
NEOUCOM
MCP Hahnemann

Philadelphia Coll. of Osteo. Med.
Ohio Univ. Coll. of Osteo. Med.

The schools at which I interviewed are included in the list, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see any problem to reapply in less than a year. Just relax and wait.
What is/are your reason(s) behind the decision to reduce the number of schools?
Again, I don't see any problem either. I applied to only 13 schools and got accepted by 2. So my advice is don't panic, just wait.

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I got into Ohio University just today! I won't have to worry about reapplying after all.
As for reducing the number of schools, I thought my GPA and MCAT numbers might get me an interview somewhere outside Ohio, but they didn't. I hadn't really improved my GPA that much, so I figured I would save some money and just apply to the out of state schools that seemed to show a little interest in me.

Way to go!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net