Reapplications-how much can an app change in one yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Om5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what med schools save when someone reapplies. do they save your secondaries and letters of rec, or do you have to send them everything again. Also, do different schools vary in their procedures regarding this?

Members don't see this ad.

You send everything again. They will look to see if anything changed significantly from the first time you applied. If not, you MAY--I do not say WILL--end up in where you did the first time around. You should rewrite your personal statement. Secure new recommendations. Have taken some more courses with better grades; that can be done even after graduating. If your MCAT was problematical, retake. Do more volunteering. If you were interviewed at any medical schools, make an attempt to find out what went wrong or did not go right enough. There is more to do than just copy the old application!

Anyone else have any advice???? :(

Hey Om5, I'm going to have to with Gower's advice on this one. They will have all of your old application materials on file so if you send them the same application, they will probably just reject you without an interview. You have to show considerable change on your written application, enough for them to warrant re-looking at you as an applicant. I think it's OK to re-send some of the same letters (you should probably have some new letters included), but definitely write new essays and have new experiences on your application.