Reapply immediately or after a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sikedoctor64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, California applicant here. I applied to over 40 schools this past cycle (2019-20) and have not gotten any acceptances. Only have one waitlist spot but at middle tier. I’m starting to consider the reapplication cycle, but I’m unsure of when to reapply. I will be graduating from an Ivy undergrad this May (GPA 3.68). I took the MCAT in Jan 2019 and got a 517 (130/125/130/132). If I reapply in the upcoming cycle, I worry that I have nothing substantially new to add to my application, but at least my MCAT will be valid. However if I wait a year and reapply in 2020-21 cycle, I’m worried that my MCAT score will expire (can someone confirm this?) and that I would have to take it again. But the good side of reapplying a year later is that I will be working full time post graduation in a free clinic in San Francisco for 2 yrs (2020-22) and will have built up immense clinical experience and direct patient contact. Also, the clinic directors are professors at UCSF and will give me a recommendation letter that I can use to help my chances for getting into UCSF, my dream school. I’m also considering whether or not I should take extra classes to boost my gpa or if it’s not necessary. Given my situation, what do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Inhale. Exhale.

Here's the MCAT oldest accepted list: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...93-5ef31ec9f761/oldest_mcat_accepted_2019.pdf

So, you have 3 years until it expires.

40 schools is too many (imo and every advisor I have ever talked with). The only people who recommend this many are premeds. Applying early is the singular most important part of the application. Secondaries get pushed off, we apply to schools that are highest priority but hardest to get into first, and save the schools we are qualified for until august/September/October. I did 24 and still was overwhelmed.

I'm not a California applicant, so little advice on that front. Also unsure when you graduated. If you graduated this year (2020), than 2 gap years is good option- its easy and gives you perspective (apply 2021, matriculate 2022). If you are like me (2018 grad) than maybe you are hurting for time and believe you can change your school list, be smarter, and apply to different schools and thus (god willing) be matriculated by 2021. I am assuming you applied to all the California schools, so it might be best to wait for 2021 so they can see you have improved.

Your GPA is fine- don't do a masters just to boost your GPA. Check MSAR. You have a low CARS score.... so don't overestimate yourself applying to only 517-tier schools. We always apply heavy high schools the first time around.

Last thing: might be better to get a clinical job with the UCSF hospital. Best case scenario? Free clinic position or something with that specific medical school (UCSF might have high MCAT with higher CARS, so might be better to do this with a more realistic school). Gives you a tie to the school and a connection to that university (kids I know who get it sometimes have this key connection). If you have less than 300 hours in a research setting, less than 50 hours shadowing, less than 100 hours in clinical volunteering etc, those all need to change regardless of where you apply. If you have these things but were unstrategic about applying (hardest schools first, too high of a list in general, LATE SECONDARIES OR PRIMARIES) than you might be able to swing back to back years.

I hope this is helpful. Information my advisor has relayed to me

Reactions: 1 users
Which schools did you apply to and where are you on the waitlist ? When were your secondaries complete ? What are your ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to over 40 schools, 15 high tier, 15 middle tier, 10 low tier. I am currently on the middle tier of the waitlist at Cincinnati. I sent in my primaries in mid June, and I completed each of my secondaries within 10 days of receiving them.

My ECs are as follows:
Clinical hours (scribing + volunteering): 400+
Research hours: 900+
Crisis Counseling (online): 300+
Medical Shadowing: 50+
Debate Club: 900+
A Cappella & DJing: 1000+

Which schools did you apply to and where are you on the waitlist ? When were your secondaries complete ? What are your ECs?

With your stats you should reapply in June. Avoid most high tier schools. I suggest these schools:
Cincinnati
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Seton Hall
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
TCU-UNT
California University
Kaiser
The UCs
USC Keck

Also when I reapply to some schools, do schools have access to and/or actively look at my previous year’s file and take that into consideration?

Also when I reapply to some schools, do schools have access to and/or actively look at my previous year’s file and take that into consideration?

If you previously applied to them they will have access to your prior application. Schools that you apply to for the first time would not have access to your prior application.