Reapply or ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veni vidi vicii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
April 1 has come and gone over 2 months ago and the next one won't be due for ~9 months.

So I was recently accepted into a dental school and I said I'm going. However, I already applied before I got accepted for the current cycle. I only applied to like 3 schools. That being said, If I get into a cheaper school come December 1st could I drop out of the school I'm currently in and attend the cheaper school the following summer? And how would that work?

Thanks

google "opportunity cost"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah let me help you with a solid “no” on this one. If you begin to attend a dental school then no other school will take you, it’s an ethics issue. If you are really that concerned about paying the high tuition cost, then you can reapply. But I also highly advise against this, since you may never get into dental school again and schools may be aware that you turned down dental school in the past, putting a stain on your record. Last, consider the $ lost that you could have made while working for an entire extra year as a dentist five years from now. There’s a lot of options for repayment if that is your concern, such as military service, working as part of an underserved care program, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
And despite popular opinion on sdn, if you do the (Semi)simple math: Average Starting dentist salary - your living expenses - monthly loan payments (On track to be paid back in 15-20 years with a 7% interest rate) = more than enough money to live comfortably and contribute to a savings account for retirement and that’s without adjusting for average salary increase over 15-20 years and in a scenario where 100% of your loan money came from PLUS loans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like a really BAD idea with a lot of unknowns.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I agree this sounds like a terrible idea but my mind was racing a thousand miles an hour and for some reason I thought it was a good idea.

Reactions: 2 users