Reapply this cycle? or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chief illiniwek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so things are not looking good for me getting an acceptance this cycle. My plan is to matriculate in a Bioengineering Masters Program (which takes 3 semesters for most students) and at some point in the next two years, reapply for med schools.

The major weaknesses on my applications this past year were the LORs (Im talkin really bad, here), a lack of research, and limited clinical experience. I also applied later than I should have (mid to late September for most schools) and probably not to enough places. I was cocky and just assumed my grades and MCAT would carry me.

So, if I reapply this summer, I will have the same LORs, still no research, and no extra clinical experience to speak of. Obviously, I would apply as early as possible and probably to more programs, but will that be enough? The additions to my application would be the following:

Chemistry minor
free, private tutoring of the MCAT
running a triathlon
ever-so slightly increased GPA (continuing an upward trend)

On the other hand, if I wait another year to reapply, I will have gone through the majority of my master's program, done a fair amount of research, gotten much better LORs, and should have some more clinical experience. Also, I'm getting kinda excited about having an MS in BioE and an MD (there's some really interesting opportunities out there) and I don't know if I would want to drop the Master's program w/ one semester left to start med school.

Finally, I am planning on doing the grad program at UIC, which is also my top choice medical school.

If anyone has actually taken the time to read this, thanks. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing the MS will do just baout nothing to help your med school chances.
By the time you are done with med school and residency, you probably will remember next to nothing from it anyway. In any case, if it really interests you, I wouldn't say to not do it. Another option would be to do a MD/PhD in bioengineering. That would probably help your career a lot more if you really have an interest in that area.

Your main problem is you just applied late and to not enough schools. You have a good MCAT, but everything else is just about average. If the LORs were actually bad, that is a real problem. Get that corrected and reapply broadly. When did you take the MCAT? If you take a year off, will your score still be less than 3 years old? You don't want to have to retake it with the score you already have.

You really don't think an MS would help me with med school admissions? That's shocking to me. So what would you suggest would help me the most? Should I just go and do a post-bac and forget about grad school? And while I would like to go into an MD/PhD program, there's no way in hell I would get into one any time soon (I mean, I couldn't even get into a regular MD program last year).

Unfortunately, as I said, my LORs were not good, and I won't be able to get three new ones for the coming cycle. What I meant by this is that two of three were from TAs in lower-level courses and I didn't have any non-academic references. But now that I think about it, I should be able to replace one of these - even though it will mean going to office hours and really sucking up to my Inorganic Chem professor that I don't really like. Also, I do have a letter from the volunteer coordinator at a hospital that I only sent to one school last year (kind of an after-thought) that I can add as an additional reference at most places. Is that enough of an improvement to warrant applying again this cycle?

For your question, I just took the MCAT last May, so the score will be good for another couple years. Praise the Lord, that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Finally, thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
A LOR from a TA is worthless. Get rid of those.
Set up a meeting with some profs where you did well in their class.
Explain your situation and be willing to give them whatever they need to write you a strong letter. Keep trying until you get 3 good letters.

No, the MS won't help much at all. If grades were your problem, I'd say to do a SMP, but your grades are fine.

My advice, get new letters, apply to about 30 well selected schools and you should be fine.

Most important, have your app submitted the day AMCAS opens and turn around the secondaries in 2 weeks or less. Make sure you are complete everywhere by Aug 1 at the latest. :luck:

A LOR from a TA is worthless. Get rid of those.
Set up a meeting with some profs where you did well in their class.
Explain your situation and be willing to give them whatever they need to write you a strong letter. Keep trying until you get 3 good letters.

No, the MS won't help much at all. If grades were your problem, I'd say to do a SMP, but your grades are fine.

My advice, get new letters, apply to about 30 well selected schools and you should be fine.

Most important, have your app submitted the day AMCAS opens and turn around the secondaries in 2 weeks or less. Make sure you are complete everywhere by Aug 1 at the latest. :luck:

I will do my best on the LORs. I'll ask my Inorganic Chem prof for one and then I suppose I'll go back to my Orgo II professor (who already wrote me a rec for grad school - but I rocked that class), so that should replace the 2 TA letters.

30 schools? Yikes. I don't think I have the $$$ for that. I'd have to get a part-time job just for that purpose. I was thinking more like 15 low to mid-tier schools.

Finally, since you brought it up, how do you complete AMCAS the day it opens? More specifically, can you submit it before they have received transcripts and LORs?

I will do my best on the LORs. I'll ask my Inorganic Chem prof for one and then I suppose I'll go back to my Orgo II professor (who already wrote me a rec for grad school - but I rocked that class), so that should replace the 2 TA letters.

30 schools? Yikes. I don't think I have the $$$ for that. I'd have to get a part-time job just for that purpose. I was thinking more like 15 low to mid-tier schools.

Finally, since you brought it up, how do you complete AMCAS the day it opens? More specifically, can you submit it before they have received transcripts and LORs?

I basically did what you did... I had 2 bad application years.... I think the advice has been sound: do get new LORs.

I would also start volunteering and doing anything that will keep your interest in medicine up. Be able to write a good primary essay. Have a compelling reason to be a doctor... YOu might feel like you have one, but you also need to be able to communicate that with the AdCom and any interviewers. My essays the first two years were a hindering me and I finally figured out a way to bring my passion accross

I ended up applying to 33 schools this time and it worked, rewrote my essays, and got more LORs re: interpersonal skills. It worked, but the last two years were brutal.

PM me and we can talk more.

Applying to 30 schools doesn't cost THAT much money...I mean, going to grad school will cost you more, right? Or is that all paid for...even if you don't pay tuition, you are paying for living expenses, right?

If you don't want to apply to 30, can apply to 15 but pick them carefully.

I agree that TA letters are almost worthless. Two from professors and one clinical letter (for a physician would be best, but if you can't get one then volunteer coordinator will be better than nothing) would be much, much better. If your GPA and MCAT score were OK, I'll bet the TA letters deep-sixed your application. The adcoms want to see a LOR from someone who can actually compare you with other premeds, someone who actually knows what it takes to succeed in grad school or med school. Ideally, someone who knows about your passion for medicine. I feel sorry for students who went to these big undergrads where they never got to know their professors...not being able to get LOR's wasn't much of an issue for me since I went to a small college. Go back to your old professors, take a resume and a copy of your personal statement, let them know your since interest in medicine, and that you have the grades, etc. and then ask them if they will be willing to help you out.

got accepted today at CMS - i guess i dont need to worry about re-applying now. SWEET!

Yeah!
Good news.
What's CMS, though?
Chicago Med School/Rosalind Franklin?

congrats,
I almost went there some years ago, but got accepted a couple of other places and some with cheaper tuition, so I didn't end up going. I thought their admissions people were really nice. I have known of several grads from there and both were doing well in residency (internal med at places like U of Chicago and Washington U). They used to rotate through several different hospitals in Chicago area, which would actually give you good clinical experiences in 3rd year (though could be a pain driving around, etc.).

congrats,
I almost went there some years ago, but got accepted a couple of other places and some with cheaper tuition, so I didn't end up going. I thought their admissions people were really nice. I have known of several grads from there and both were doing well in residency (internal med at places like U of Chicago and Washington U). They used to rotate through several different hospitals in Chicago area, which would actually give you good clinical experiences in 3rd year (though could be a pain driving around, etc.).

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the rotations around Chicago hospitals. I would ultimately like to practice in the city, so this should be a great start for me. Also, I have lived in the city my entire life (other than my time at college), so I have gotten used to the traffic and I might be able to live with family for a year to save money.