Reapplying and nervous...anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my second application cycle, last one I did in the 04/05 cycle. My undergrad GPA (B.S. in Biology) is a horrible 3.05cum/2.76sci(ouch! I know..).

Since then I enrolled in a coursework based/non-thesis masters(M.S. in Biotechnology), with 20 completed credits(half-way done!) and 3.75cum/3.65sci GPA(the masters program has a couple non-science elective courses, i've take 4 science courses and 1 non-science)

My first DAT was an 18AA/19TS/17PAT, and my scheduled retake date is Sept. 13th!

Anyone else reapplying and nervous? I know my graduate GPA is significantly better then undergrad, I'm wondering how much this is going to help vs. an awesome 20+ DAT score (I know I need that too......).

I'm an MD resident and mainly just want to get into UMD, although I did apply to 6 schools total.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's pretty crazy... we have like the exact same story almost. Applied my first time for the '05 cycle.

B.S. in Nutrition... cum gpa 2.97, sci gpa 2.86. Same exact DAT scores.

M.S. in Biomedical Sciences (non-thesis)... 24 credits finished, 12 to go. Cum/Sci GPA 3.85. From talking to my dentist who has been on a few adcoms, masters degrees make a big difference... especially if you have a good gpa in them.

Retaking DAT on Sept. 14th

And VERY nervous about this cycle. I never want to have to go thru this **** again...too damn stressful. Got my 1st interview on Sept. 8th. Hoping to get at least one more.

Hit me up sometime and tell me how things are progressing... best of luck!

I'm in the same situation but I was stupid in not investing in post-bach program other than UCSF which turned me down. I just found out about Arizona biomed program but the appl. is closed for this year. I think a post-bach is great too but I'm going to reapply for the next cycle, do you guys think I should still apply for the post-bach in Arizona since UCSF already shot me down? I'm just taking extra classes right now (public speaking and micro). My DAT scores were not stellar either (already took it twice) so I'm planning to take it again for next cycle. My mother is not exactly helping either, she's like, you can't be a doctor since it's obviously too hard for you, why don't you become a pharmacist like your sister, like that makes it easier for me!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied before but I a member of the prestigious post-bac club. I've heard that a lot of schools love non-traditional applicants and you guys have done so well! Best wishes and good luck. I don't envy anyone having to go through this process more than once...

Mack

Mackchops said:
I haven't applied before but I a member of the prestigious post-bac club. I've heard that a lot of schools love non-traditional applicants and you guys have done so well! Best wishes and good luck. I don't envy anyone having to go through this process more than once...

Mack

Thanks for all your replies, I agree that you should not in anyway go through it twice if at all possible!! My life has basically been on hold for 3 years while I'm trying to get in, while my other friends have gone on to Med school, jobs, etc. It is really, really hard emotionally and especially financially (my masters is not cheap!!!). The process of applying is extremely stressful, and I feel like it is more stressful this time because I have to worry about selling myself since the last time I applied (e.g. what have I done that makes me a better applicant).

Certainly wisdom does come with experience, and my wisdom to all of you first time applicants and will be applicants is to work HARD and get in on your first try. Don't try to half-do it like myself and expect to just slide in, because the fact is that you will not!

I feel much more prepared for the rigors of dental school since I last applied, and I am more confident in my academic ability, the question is will dental schools feel the same way?

Lizjunk

I completely understand your position, after not getting in on my first try, you are very much in "limbo" and there is no guide of where to go or what to do. To my knowledge and from what adcoms have told me, any classes (specifically science) that are upper level and you do well in will help your application. Don't give up on your dream, you will be upset with yourself for the next 30+ years of your life if you do a career you hate.......

I chose a masters vs. a post-bac because it is a solid real degree. While I am mainly doing it just to get into dental school, at least at the end of it I have another degree to my name, which certainly could never hurt. In the end, doing well in upper level science courses is what is important, how you go about doing that is up to you.

I don't know about you guys, but I have found graduate level courses to be more relaxed then undergrad. Don't get me wrong, it is still very hard and you will have to do your best to get a good grade, but I feel like there is less "cut-throat" nature to them because the people in the class are actually interested in the class/subject, vs in undergrad most of the class is trying super hard to get an A and could care less about the class. Or maybe it is just me?

I agree with you. The whole process of reapplying is stressful and very hard especially considering the amount of money you have to spend on the applications. However, as Lizjunk said the graduate degress (masters) is much more relaxed and easier (i thought). Use this extra year you are waiting wisely, either travel, or get a degree and never give up. I didn't get in to my dream school but I am happy I got in a decent school. I wish you all the best and hope you get in this cycle.
drpduck said:
Lizjunk

I completely understand your position, after not getting in on my first try, you are very much in "limbo" and there is no guide of where to go or what to do. To my knowledge and from what adcoms have told me, any classes (specifically science) that are upper level and you do well in will help your application. Don't give up on your dream, you will be upset with yourself for the next 30+ years of your life if you do a career you hate.......

I chose a masters vs. a post-bac because it is a solid real degree. While I am mainly doing it just to get into dental school, at least at the end of it I have another degree to my name, which certainly could never hurt. In the end, doing well in upper level science courses is what is important, how you go about doing that is up to you.

I don't know about you guys, but I have found graduate level courses to be more relaxed then undergrad. Don't get me wrong, it is still very hard and you will have to do your best to get a good grade, but I feel like there is less "cut-throat" nature to them because the people in the class are actually interested in the class/subject, vs in undergrad most of the class is trying super hard to get an A and could care less about the class. Or maybe it is just me?

Second time around for me too. Applied late in the cycle last year. Didn't make that mistake again this year. :) Waiting to hear , as i did get intrerviews to both schools i applied to last year. This round i got another interview at Houston Dental Branch but none others yet. A bit concerned but it is still early ( I think ) .....
Best of luck to all.

Drpduck and Dmonee6,
You both mentioned you are finishing up masters degrees (non-thesis). I'm thinking about doing a masters, just not sure which kind (thesis or not).
How many years does this route take?
Does a Masters with a thesis take longer?
Why did you choose not to do a thesis?
Did you/could you apply to dent school before finishing the masters?

Thanks!

i'm re-applying and as the fall approaches I am rapidly getting more and more nervous. I haven't heard anything as far as interviews yet, so that adds to the nerves.

I don't think I can handle being outta school another year if I don't get in this time around!

AplusDent said:
Drpduck and Dmonee6,
You both mentioned you are finishing up masters degrees (non-thesis). I'm thinking about doing a masters, just not sure which kind (thesis or not).
How many years does this route take?
Does a Masters with a thesis take longer?
Why did you choose not to do a thesis?
Did you/could you apply to dent school before finishing the masters?

Thanks!

Well, as far as i can remember... the masters programs that I applied to were all non-thesis. I applied to Nova, Barry, Boston, & Georgetown. The Georgetown and Barry programs can be finished in 1 year. I chose the 2 year track at Barry simply because i didn't apply for the 06 cycle to dental school, therefore i would be out of school for 2 years after undergrad no matter what. I figured I'd fill those 2 years with going to school instead of having to get a job (yuck! haha). I'd say don't do a thesis just because you will have more science classes instead of having to do a lot of research. All of the classes I've taken so far are identical to the basic science courses taken in the first 2 years of dental school (histology, biochem, neuroanatomy, gross, physiology, pharmacology, etc...). I still have 12 credits left to take, but I have applied to dental school... so when i'm done with my masters, I'll go right into dental school (hopefully!).

Well I looked at all those programs and didn't really feel like those were for me. I ended up doing a M.S. in Biotechnology at Hopkins (especially since I'm an MD resident and familiar with Baltimore). While it will take me a total of 2 years to complete (i'm 50% done now) it is coursework based, non-thesis and did not even require a GRE to get accepted. It actually wasn't hard to get into, I believe the requirement is a 3.0 in last half of college or if you are slightly under that you can get accepted as a provisional student (which just means you have to stay above B- for your first couple of classes at which point you become a normal degree seeking student).

There are many people interested in going to med school in the program, although there are also a lot more that are just doing it to get a masters (you can get tution remission if you become a full time employee, but its only 5k a year). Although it is technically a part-time masters, there are several people that do it full time (3+classes), which if you desired you could take 4 classes in fall, 4 in the spring, and 2 in the summer to finish the masters.

They can actually waive some classes if you have already taken them, as Hopkins undergrads can take up to 4 courses before they graduate and they will count for the program. I did not go to Hopkins undergrad, but I had already take Biochem, and they waived it for me when I asked (there are 4 required courses for the M.S.: Biochem, Advanced Cell Bio 1 and 2, and Molecular Bio, the remaining 6 courses are electives from a rather large list of classes).

They even offer classes online! They require you be physically present on campus for at least 2 courses, but the remaining 8 courses can be taken online! Personally I live in Balt city for now, and I've taken 4 courses in person and my summer class was online, now when my lease is up at the end of sept. I am moving home to finish up the last 5 courses online, thus saving me mucho $$$$ from living expenses and loans!!!!

All in all its a good program, classes are a bit pricey at $2300 a piece!!! (or ~23k tution total for the masters). But if you come here there are many, many research postions (lab techs) at the Med school and School of Public health, which is just a free shuttle ride away. Personally I worked doing research in the Med school part time, and the masters part time, leaving me full time busy! But there certainly are those who work full time and still do the masters part time, although it would be very tough.

Obviously I could go on and on (and already did, haha), but here is the website: http://advanced.jhu.edu

I recommend the program, but I'm sure its not for everyone.

And I forgot to add that they have some really interesting elective courses as well. Like I said you must take those 4 core courses, but are free take whatever you want for the final 6 courses. They even have some non science classes like Bioethics, but if you are trying to look better for dental school, you probably don't want to do more then a couple non-science courses.

For example, this past spring I took Infectious Diseases and Advanced Cell 2, in the Fall I'm taking Radiation Biology and Computers in Molecular Biology. They even offer some classes related to Bioterrorism, as this masters is also for professionals who will work in government. So not only are you getting a masters, but you might actually really enjoy some of the classes, and most are still science based (shocking!!!).

I'm right there with you guys doing this the second time around. I'm definitely anxious and completely scared to think of how things will turn out this time through. The first time was tough as is, applying, wishing & waiting, but its worse having to go through it all over again.

unfortunately i didnt get a chance to do a masters/postbacc program but i'm retaking the dats sept 20th and will be taking some upper division bio courses this fall & winter quarters.

good luck to everyone! just keep us updated on your status..its good to know someone else is going through the same things you are :)

and congratulations to those who have already scored interviews! thats' the way to do it! :thumbup: