Reapplying and trying to defer a year worst case scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMD501

Reaction score
I'm planning on reapplying but since I'm afraid my MCAT may expire I want to reapply this year than wait another year. The thing is that I am starting a MPH program in August that will take two years so I will be looking to either defer or transfer the credits. How would I put this into AMCAS to reflect that I'm looking to defer a year or transfer and do a dual-degree? Will it look bad that I do this also?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on reapplying but since I'm afraid my MCAT may expire I want to reapply this year than wait another year. The thing is that I am starting a MPH program in August that will take two years so I will be looking to either defer or transfer the credits. How would I put this into AMCAS to reflect that I'm looking to defer a year or transfer and do a dual-degree? Will it look bad that I do this also?

General rule of thumb is you apply for the cycle you wish to attend, and then you can request a deferral if admitted. Deferrals are not guaranteed. I wouldn't tell the school that you are applying with the mindset that you won't go. They want to take people that WILL go. Otherwise, yield goes down.

Reactions: 1 user
What does the rest of your application look like?

The reason I ask is because an MPH isn't really going to fix any deficits in your app. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

If you have any academic deficits, particularly with the MCAT, it may be in your best interest to retake it anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As per the most recent report from the AAMC, when considering who to invite to interview, postbacc coursework falls under the "Highest Importance" rating, while graduate or professional program falls under the "Lowest Importance" rating. There are very few exceptions to this - one being a special masters program.

If your aim is to make up for uGPA or sGPA it would probably be best to do a DIY postbacc instead.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/mcatguide.pdf

I'm in a similar situation, going to be starting an MPH program in fall and really hoping that my MCAT won't expire since I'm not going to apply until next cycle. Commenting to see how this turns out lol