Reapplying as PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurodo2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a PGY2 resident in my initial chosen specialty but I am really beginning to feel that I made the wrong choice as I am not enjoying what I do daily. I know it is early but I have a feeling that this is not the career for me. I did not really do much work outside of a couple rotations in the field during medical school and have not had it since then. I am planning to apply to occupational medicine residency in the next month my question is the following:

1) how bad will it look if I don't have a current PD letter, reason I ask this is because my department is currently in flux and there's an interim PD and I want to try to be discreet. Will be able to easily get a letter from my PGY1 PD.

2) I had nothing but excellent evaluations from the first year so I can use multiple letters from last year. Will the programs I wanted to try to contact my current PD?

I would have a decision by December so that gives me plenty of time to tell my current program they may find a r they may find a replacement.

Thank you and I would appreciate any help with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently a PGY2 resident in my initial chosen specialty but I am really beginning to feel that I made the wrong choice as I am not enjoying what I do daily. I know it is early but I have a feeling that this is not the career for me. I did not really do much work outside of a couple rotations in the field during medical school and have not had it since then. I am planning to apply to occupational medicine residency in the next month my question is the following:

1) how bad will it look if I don't have a current PD letter, reason I ask this is because my department is currently in flux and there's an interim PD and I want to try to be discreet. Will be able to easily get a letter from my PGY1 PD.

2) I had nothing but excellent evaluations from the first year so I can use multiple letters from last year. Will the programs I wanted to try to contact my current PD?

I would have a decision by December so that gives me plenty of time to tell my current program they may find a r they may find a replacement.

The good news is that there is no requirement that you include a letter from your current interim PD with your ERAS application. There is an ACGME requirement for a letter from your current PD to the receiving program indicating your good standing and competency for level of training before the time of transfer. However, programs tend to be risk averse, and I imagine that many/most would expect to see a current PD letter before entertaining the possibility of an interview invitation. You could try submitting with your PGY1 PD letter and see what happens, but in my experience, it's far better to be up-front with your current PD--especially if you are switching specialties. Since you'll have to include your current program on your ERAS application, there is certainly a risk of someone contacting your current PD before you tell him/her if you aren't proactive. Basically, the system doesn't allow for much of a safety net for residents who want to leave their program. You'll need to consider the question carefully and commit to changing or staying.

The good news is that there is no requirement that you include a letter from your current interim PD with your ERAS application. There is an ACGME requirement for a letter from your current PD to the receiving program indicating your good standing and competency for level of training before the time of transfer. However, programs tend to be risk averse, and I imagine that many/most would expect to see a current PD letter before entertaining the possibility of an interview invitation. You could try submitting with your PGY1 PD letter and see what happens, but in my experience, it's far better to be up-front with your current PD--especially if you are switching specialties. Since you'll have to include your current program on your ERAS application, there is certainly a risk of someone contacting your current PD before you tell him/her if you aren't proactive. Basically, the system doesn't allow for much of a safety net for residents who want to leave their program. You'll need to consider the question carefully and commit to changing or staying.

So programs are able to contact my current PD without my permission? I have spoke with my PD about a potential change but since it is so early in the year he wanted me to give this a shot before I completely disliked my current field. I am pretty set that I don't like this and I do want to change to occupational medicine as I like the wide variety of practice opportunities available. I'm just trying to make sure that I don't get stuck without a residency spot come third-year if I'm not successful in the match and I tell my current PD I'm leaving so they find my replacement

So programs are able to contact my current PD without my permission? I have spoke with my PD about a potential change but since it is so early in the year he wanted me to give this a shot before I completely disliked my current field. I am pretty set that I don't like this and I do want to change to occupational medicine as I like the wide variety of practice opportunities available. I'm just trying to make sure that I don't get stuck without a residency spot come third-year if I'm not successful in the match and I tell my current PD I'm leaving so they find my replacement

I did mention that programs are risk averse, and residency selection is pretty high stakes for any program. This isn't a traditional job interview where you are providing a list of references that have agreed to be contacted. Programs are free to look after their own best interest, and that may include contacting your current PD if you don't provide a letter. It doesn't mean they have to or will, but from a program's point of view it's a pretty glaring omission. My program only has capacity to interview about 20% of our applicants, so missing such a key element to the decision-making process is a huge hurdle to overcome.

The one time this came up in recent memory, I contacted the applicant to let her know that her application was currently under review and told her that the committee had elected to table her application until we had a PD letter. She produced it within a few days, she interviewed, and we ended up ranking her high enough that she would have matched with us if she'd ranked us higher than wherever she matched.

Having spoken with your PD already (good move!), you've set the stage for the next step of informing him that you plan to proceed with submitting an ERAS application. Reassure him that you are working hard and continue to be open minded about your current specialty, but the ERAS process starts early in the year and you need to prepare your application. If you realize between now and December that your current specialty is a good fit after all, you'll happily withdraw from the Match.

Hello,

Another question for you would be how long is your current training track? Something like IM, FM, or Peds, you'd only have another year to get through and then go forward with an OM program. In that situation it might be better to stick it out. Then you could become double boarded at the end of it all.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the second year of For your program total program so trying to stick it out till then maybe a little bit difficult but I haven't absolutely ruled out this specialty yet. It's not that I don't want to tell my PD yet as I did speak to him two weeks ago and he said it was still a bit early to make that decision so I am waiting till at least September/October and I am sure he will gladly write me a letter at that point considering I gave this a good shot and realized it wasn't for me.

I am in the second year of For your program total program so trying to stick it out till then maybe a little bit difficult but I haven't absolutely ruled out this specialty yet. It's not that I don't want to tell my PD yet as I did speak to him two weeks ago and he said it was still a bit early to make that decision so I am waiting till at least September/October and I am sure he will gladly write me a letter at that point considering I gave this a good shot and realized it wasn't for me.

I think that would be the exact right time frame for ERAS.