This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crichard

Reaction score
So I am currently waitlisted, but trying to prepare myself for re-applying this cycle.

With that being said, I worked very hard on my personal statement last cycle. Would it be frowned upon to use it again?
I plan to write new responses to all of the individual essays of course, but wasn't sure if I could use the same personal statement or not (especially because I would be a 2nd time applicant for some schools). I have a folder review coming up in the beginning of June as well, so I will know then if there is anything else that I should change.

TIA for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I applied multiple times and for several of the essays I did go through and edit them to flow better but still was using the same basic essay I’d written before. For some questions nothing happened in the year that made my answers any different, just made sure to polish them up a bit.

Reactions: 2 users
So I am currently waitlisted, but trying to prepare myself for re-applying this cycle.

With that being said, I worked very hard on my personal statement last cycle. Would it be frowned upon to use it again?
I plan to write new responses to all of the individual essays of course, but wasn't sure if I could use the same personal statement or not (especially because I would be a 2nd time applicant for some schools). I have a folder review coming up in the beginning of June as well, so I will know then if there is anything else that I should change.

TIA for your help!

I ended up changing all my essays for my second round. I didn’t want to, but during a review an admissions officer said that one school I wanted to get into might like to see X style of essay, so then I had to labor to write a whole new essay. I would definitely ask during the review. Also ask yourself: is there enough material in your packet to add that keeping the same essay is fine? In other words, is your packet going to be competitive enough with everything else that you can skimp on your essay?

Overall, it’s hard to say because essays are so variable among so many different people. Follow the recommendations from the review and when it comes down to it, trust your gut.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up applying three times, I had to write a few new essays because of changed prompts, but other than that I just went with what I had. That said, I had also done file reviews and was specifically told I didn't really need to change anything about my application. If the school you're waitlisted for offers reviews, I would highly recommend taking advantage of that!

Reactions: 3 users
In the same boat rn! Waitlisted but beginning my re-app, I think I’m going to rewrite my personal statement but keep some aspects of my original like the general sentiment of ‘my why’ because it hasn’t changed much :)

I wouldn’t ask “do I need to change my personal statement?” But instead ask, “did I wow you with my personal statement? And if not, was it the content or delivery that could be better”

If you didn’t get in this time around, I’d find every way to improve your application.

Have people who know the process (not your loved ones or friends who aren’t familiar with vet school apps) read it over and unless they tell you your essay is so freaking amazing you absolutely shouldn’t change it, I would change it.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied twice, first time around I wrote more on personal struggles that led me down the path of vet med and how those experiences would shape me into a great vet. After files reviews I was told by some schools they did not like that approach since It was more the classic "I have been through negative life experiences and I persevered", not saying its wrong but maybe overplayed and not unique. Second time, I did introspection and found what is most unique about myself and my life, made my essay more into a positive story highlight how my life expereinces/differences shapes my interests in vet med, and that helped! Definitely ask for input from your file reviews!

Reactions: 1 user