Reapplying Question - Clinical Exp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ignatius413

Medical Student (Accepted)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had my first interview at KU-med today and I'm sad say that I think I've bombed it. I'm 24 years old and while I've gotten two IIs from KU and University of Minnesota (Interview is on January 6th), I'm trying to figure out how to tackle the possibility of getting rejected this cycle. This has been my first interview, so my biggest problem was just getting nervous and blanking out on several questions related to my research publication (Nature) which I'm honestly ashamed of since it's one of my prouder moments. Also, I suspect that my first interviewer thought my clinical experience was lacking (I've been a personal care assistant for two individuals with special needs), so I'm taking that into consideration.

My Stats are:

BCPM: 3.71
Non-Science: 4.0
Cumulative: 3.86
Major: Biology/Spanish Minor
MCAT: 512 (Cumulative), 126 (Chem and Physical), 127 (CARS), 129 (Biological/Biochemical), 130 (Psych, Social, Bio)
Publications: 1 Coauthor on Nature, 1 contributor on nature communications
Physician Shadowing Hours: Ortho (15 hours), Family Physician in rural kansas (40)
Clinical Exp? - Personal Care Assistant/Home Health Aide (5 years) - assuming it's not counted to clinical, I'll need to start from scratch.
Languages: Spanish (Fluent), Portuguese (Fluent), French (fair), Filipino/Hiligaynon (native) - I've done a lot of traveling.
Applied Schools: 10 total, (2 Interview Invitations)
LORs: Pretty good
KU SOM interview: Not so great, lol. I actually slapped myself in the parking lot after.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm trying to form a solid contingency plan if this don't work out this cycle. My current scheme is to get CNA certified and work part-time/full-time before hopping into the pool as well as doing some additional doc shadowing and volunteer work on the side. I usually don't have a problem w/ interviews, but this experience was laughably shameful. Suggestions/criticism are welcome.

- Iggy

EDIT: Non-clinical volunteering is pretty heavy, over 400+ hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll let others give real advice, but hey!!! You still have another interview to rock :) Honestly reflect on what you felt went wrong, prepare each day until 1/6/17, and go get your acceptance after the new year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there will be many others who can give you better detailed advice regarding improving your physical application and experiences (also lots of threads available regarding what people have done in gap years etc), but I wanted to address the tough emotions that could come with rejection.

from your style of writing, it's apparent that you're someone who has more of an internal locus. you're pretty hard on yourself, and while I think that's a much better alternative to the whiny, "I didn't get in because the system is rigged" approach, I think you should give yourself more credit. it's tough being rejected and on some level feeling like you're not good enough, and I've found (from personal experience because it really sucked) that healthy striving is a lot harder when you're feeling like that. applying to medical school is such an important learning process, but it's often not an easy or comfortable one. it's not about blaming yourself, but it is about being honest about what you can improve while allowing yourself the confidence of your previous achievements.

it's good that you're considering the possibility of reapplying, but I would also look at the parts of your application that may be giving you trouble. also, practice talking out loud (no really, I'm serious). even when there's no one around or you're driving somewhere alone, speak out loud regarding questions like why medicine, tell me about your research etc.

I wish you the best, whether it's this cycle or a subsequent one.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I ended up getting accepted at the University of Kansas SOM. White coat ceremony in July!

Reactions: 11 users