Reapplying - review old personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional applicant looking to re-apply (either this upcoming cycle or the next - but most likely the next). Looking back at my application, I do feel that something I was lacking was recent clinical experience with direct patient contact, which I am rectifying by volunteering at a hospice center.

But part of me is suspecting that my personal statement may have been partly to blame. Let me explain:
I graduated undergrad with a degree in public policy, then went on to complete a degree in global health. Since graduating my masters program I have been working in global public health in both field based positions (worked in Zanzibar and Nigeria) and policy based positions (with the FDA, CDC, and now the Institute of Medicine). My personal statement is more heavily weighted towards my experiences in global health. While I do touch on patient care and my desire to enter that, my main thesis (or so I hope it came across) is that I want to make the transition from global health and public policy to medicine in order to be closer to the "impact" and make a deeper connection with those I am helping.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to take a look at my old personal statement and give me some feedback. Did I go wrong somewhere? Did I stress my previous career too much? Did I stress patient care too little?

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be happy to take a look at it