Medical Reapplying to Med School: Evaluating Your Medical School Profile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reapplying%20to%20Medical%20School%20Your%20Primary%20Application.jpg
You knew there was a possibility that this would happen, but that doesn’t erase the sting. What can you do now? How can you move forward?

What should you do if all you’ve received are rejections?

To start with, know you’re not alone. Last year (2018-2019), only 40.9% of allopathic applicants made the cut. Osteopathic applicants had it even harder, with 20,981 applicants vying for 7,467 seats in 2018. And although the number of available places has increased slightly over the years, it hasn’t matched the pace of applications. No matter how you look at it, the medical school application process keeps getting tougher.

So what are your next steps, now that you won’t be starting med school in the fall?

Next step: Decide what you want
Use this time to reevaluate your commitment to becoming a doctor. The ache of rejection might cloud your immediate judgment, but do your best to project yourself into the future. Do you still envision yourself as a doctor? Have any of your reasons for pursuing medicine changed? If so, then how? Do any other paths appeal to you – do you think you could find happiness and fulfillment in another profession?

For many people, the process of applying for medical school is the first time they have critically examined their desire to be a doctor. Sometimes the answer is surprising. There’s no disloyalty in questioning your commitment, and no shame in deciding that medicine might not be right for you – there is a myriad of other options, whether in healthcare or other fields. But it is vital that you know whether getting rejected is merely a setback or a watershed.

Evaluate your application
Assuming that your commitment remains strong, it’s time to take a good, hard look at your application. It would be misleading to say this process is an easy one. But what I’d like to do, in this post, is break it down into manageable parts that will help you identify your weaknesses and strengthen your next application. In future posts, we’ll look at how your profile appeared to the admissions committee and the concrete steps you can take to address your weaknesses. But first, we’ll take a look at your fundamental profile and see how it stacks up against successful applicants.

• Academic record and GPA
    Is your GPA competitive? Does your transcript reflect a breadth of interests (humanities, social science, and foreign language classes, as well as sciences)? And if you had difficulties, were they early in your college career – did your grades show an upward trend?

Time and again, medical schools say that students should not be obsessed with perfect grades. This statement is hard to swallow when applicants’ GPAs keep rising. In the most recent data from allopathic medical schools (2018-2019), the mean undergraduate GPA for applicants was 3.57; for matriculants, this went up to 3.72. Matriculants to osteopathic medical schools aren’t far behind, with a mean undergraduate GPA of 3.53 for the 2017 entering class.

Of course, not everyone who was accepted had these grades – there’s always a range above and below. However, it does suggest that the applicant pool is getting more competitive. If your GPA doesn’t fall within .2-.3 points, you should consider ways to improve your grades. While it’s hard to repair your GPA after the fact, there are some concrete steps you can take – more on that in a later post in this series.
  • MCAT
    In 2018-2019, the mean MCAT score for all allopathic applicants was 505.6; for matriculants, it was 511.2. Matriculants to osteopathic programs scored 503 mean in 2017. Again, there is a spread of scores on both sides of these numbers, but if you’re more than a couple of points below, this could be a problem in your profile.

If you scored lower than expected, you should also assess what went wrong. Were you unprepared for the questions asked? Did any particular areas give you trouble? If so, you should question your study practices and take additional steps to prepare. On the other hand, if you scored significantly higher on practice tests or ran out of time, it could signal test anxiety – a not-uncommon affliction. It’s not unusual to be nervous the first time you sit the exam, but if you feel that your nervousness was extreme and impaired your performance, it’s likely to be something you should address.

Keep in mind that a good MCAT score can help mitigate a lower GPA, and vice versa, but a significant discrepancy between the two can signal a problem. A 512 with a 3.5 means something different than a 498 with a 4.0 or a 517 with a 2.9.

• Clinical experience
    Medical schools look for a working knowledge of the health professions as demonstrated through volunteering or shadowing. Too many applicants present an impressive list of accomplishments, but lack any serious engagement in the healthcare field. You’ve got to demonstrate that you understand the realities of the profession, that you are service-minded, and that you’re committed to practicing medicine.

But all positions are not equal. Commitment and quality, exhibited through substantive, longer term experiences, hold more value than a series of short-term shadowing opportunities. At least two substantive experiences are recommended to demonstrate commitment and interest. If you have less, this is definitely an area that you can improve.

• Research experience
    Some medical schools value research more than others; clinical volunteer work and community service are enough for others. But as the applicant pool grows more selective, research has gone from being a way to distinguish applicants to a more basic part of a well-rounded application. If you left this section blank on the AMCAS, it’s worth revisiting, perhaps through a postbac or Master’s degree.

• Leadership and public service
    As important as grades are, the successful med school candidate needs to balance good grades with leadership and service positions outside the classroom. The range of acceptable activities is endless, so it’s important to seek out something that you enjoy. Together, these experiences demonstrate a commitment to serving others and an appreciation of human connections – one that ultimately reflects the human dimension of medicine.
Medical schools have always been competitive, but as they become ever more selective, it’s critical that you present the strongest application you can. Honestly assessing your application is your first step to improving your chances next year.

“Reapplying to Med School: Evaluating Your Medical School Profile” is the first post in our series, Medical School Reapplicant Advice: 6 Tips for Success. Click here to get the full series as one compact guide!

Next up: A look at the second part of your application – how you present your experiences to the admissions committee.

Work on your reapplication strategy with an admissions expert
Do you need help evaluating your application to determine what went wrong? This vital information is what will make your next admissions attempt a success. Learn from your mistakes and create a stronger application with the help of Accepted’s Rejection Review Services. Learn more here.

Feedback from a reapplicant client
“I really wanted to thank you again for all of your help and support. The reapplication process was a rough one for me. I dealt with a lot of uncertainty regarding what went wrong the first time and many in my inner circle telling me to look at other professions. Your taking the time to work on my essays, bring out my voice, and speedy responses and feedback definitely made the difference in making sure I got my secondaries in, and I deeply appreciate you going above and beyond in wrapping up my application.”

We look forward to helping you too!

By Cydney Foote, former administrator at the University of Washington School of Medicine and author of three ebooks about medical education. Cyd has successfully advised medical school and residency applicants since 2001. Want Cyd to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.
Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.