Reapplying to Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaB_DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at a point where I've been either rejected or waitlisted at every program I've applied to, so I'm trying to start planning on applying again this upcoming cycle. For those of you who were in the same boat and had to reapply another year, did you have a better outcome in reapplying to some of the same programs or did you apply to entirely different programs? I plan on following up with each of the schools I applied to this year to see what they suggest for strengthening my application, but I want to know if this will actually help my chances next year, or if I'm better off applying to a different set of programs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll give you my answer but the first year I applied, I did 3 programs with 2 being in-state programs so that automatically made it tougher because they typically have more applicants. The next year I applied to 2 of them and the one I did for early decision I didn’t apply to at all. Amazing what some better research can do when looking at programs.

The 2 I did, I did get to a farther stage in each of them but both ended up still being rejections which was fine because I also applied to more schools the next year and got into other ones I didn’t apply to the year before that I ended up liking more. I did not contact the schools from the year before but just knew in general where I could get stronger and worked on those areas.

if applying to same school, you'd have to give a convincing argument of what improvements you've made between then and now and why you should get into that program this cycle. otherwise, it's easier to apply to difference school who has no history of you applying there, but you'd still be competing with other applicants to still get into a dpt program. it definitely helped filtering through each school in ptcas directory of schools have lower average gpa of those accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I reapplied to the same schools the second time around as well as other schools that I didn't apply to before. I actually got into the ones that I reapplied before and am going to my first choice school. I did call them after I got rejected the first time and asked what would help strengthen my application and they just told me to retake a class, but I ended up retaking 3 just for my own personal preference.

I took two years off to get more experience, improve my GRE, and retook my lowest prerequisite. The first time around I applied to three schools and didn’t get any interviews. This time I applied to seven got into two schools and am on the waitlist at two schools. I think that it wasn’t beneficial to apply to more programs this time because I go into two out of the three in state programs. In my opinion, I think it’s a lot tougher to get into out of state programs. I definitely would improve on things before reapplying. The second time around I was confident and knew I would get in.

I reapplied to the school I will be attending this summer (state school in Texas). I didn’t call or ask what I could do to make myself a better applicant, I just improved my PGPA, GRE, and got more hours in various settings. There is an opportunity on PTCAS for most schools that allow you to describe how you have improved your application if you’re reapplying. I believe that this is really valuable and goes a long way! Best of luck