Sticky Situation: Reapplying After Withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bubbleguppy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In May 2024, I graduated from my undergraduate university and was accepted into every school I applied to. I was so thankful and couldn't have been more excited. I chose my top/favorite program and started in August. After the few weeks, I received some crushing family news (cancer sucks) after working through the last years. I was not able to concentrate and could not stop feeling constantly hyper-anxious. I was not doing the best in classes due to my situation and eventually decided to withdraw from the program. I withdrew before the deadline, so I have only Ws (thankfully not W/Fs), but I am not reapplying to other programs closer to my family home. I realize I'm applying much later than I would've preferred, but I didn't expect to be in this situation at all. I am really worried about how programs will look at this, and I am scared I threw away my one shot at PT school. Has anyone gone through anything similar or have any advice?
Wishing everyone the best.