Reapplying to school which interviewed you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jult24er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already discussed in another thread ...

Does anyone know anything about how reapplicants are treated if they are applying to a school that interviewed them in a previous cycle?

For instance, I heard that at SLU, if you interviewed in the previous year's cycle, they will not interview you again. Instead, they will either reject, waitlist or accept based on your last year's interview and improvements in your paper application in the new cycle. Has anyone else heard that?

And, is a school more likely to put you on pre-interview hold because they think they pretty much already know what they need to know? maybe they interview you only at the end of the season when, after seeing all the new applicants, they decide whether or not they have space for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on the school. To be honest, I think some of them would barely remember you, as they interview so many. I think when reapplying it's best to pick at least some new schools, but reasonable to reapply to places that interviewed you last year. If you aren't sure what their policy is, ask them...you can call SLU and ask.

Most schools will discuss both applications in committee decision making. As far as getting to the second interview goes, I would imagine that you would be treated like any other applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I re-applied to a school where I was waitlisted previously and received an acceptance this time around. Although there was information from my previous application discussed, I believe the interview was their way of finding out information about the changes I had made and why their decision should be different this time around. Good luck!! :thumbup:

I re-applied to a school where I was waitlisted previously and received an acceptance this time around. Although there was information from my previous application discussed, I believe the interview was their way of finding out information about the changes I had made and why their decision should be different this time around. Good luck!! :thumbup:

I think this is the norm.

if a truly better candidate gets accepted, the decision is respected. otherwise, it's nothing but a joke