Reapplying to the same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynameissss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good/bad idea to reapply to some of the same schools that I applied to this year? I really like some of these schools but didn't even get an interview! Just wondering how schools look at this; I'm sure it varies of course.

Members don't see this ad.

I did. My mistake the first time around was applying too late int he cycle. When the new cycle opened I applied the first day. Didn't change anything because I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected the end of May and the new cycle opened June 1st. The earlier you apply the more slots there are to fill so there is more leniency with the application. They get pickier as time goes on and there are less and less seats available.

I applied really late this cycle too with good (+70 LizzyM score) stats. Next cycle I'll be applying early to a lot of the same schools. Some schools see dedication when you reapply, as long as you show improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied with an MCAT below their cutoff and was rejected. Next year applying in September with a new score I got into that school.

The lessons in this thread are simple:

1) apply early
2) apply smartly. Aim for schools whose median numbers are close to your own.
3) when reapplying, don't magically think that this time they'll give you an II. How have you improved since your last app?

Applied with an MCAT below their cutoff and was rejected. Next year applying in September with a new score I got into that school.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools definitely have a reapplication strategy. Were you able to get any feedback from the program in question during the last admission cycle? What do you feel were your drawbacks. Most schools have a "personality." That is to say, they are generally looking for a particular type of applicant. Do you know the "personality" of this program and how they viewed your application. This really needs to be identified so that you can enhance these aspects of your application before reapplying. Reapplying without showing "concentrated" improvements will be a waste of your time and money. I can help you with your profile and application strategy. -Admissions to Medicine