Reapplying :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

button234

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a 2020 grad who is currently on 4 MD WL (CWRU, BU, and 2 of my state schools). At this point I am coming to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reapply so I need some advice.

My c/sGPA was 3.95 and MCAT 521.

All that I have added during my gap year is 2000 clinical hours supervising a COVID testing center (more if I add projected hours) and I took a spanish class P/F because I am working for a university and it was free lol.

My activities that were included on last years app:
Clinical: 400 hours
-100 hours shadowing primary care
-250 hours in a clinical research lab in New Zealand (no pub) (I counted this as clinical because my job was to draw blood, take vitals, etc and I needed more clinical hours)
-50 hours volunteering in an endoscopy clinic at a local hospital
Research: 650 hours
-600 hours in a neurobiology lab (no pub)
-50 hours at the Brigham on a clinical trial where I mostly screened data (no pub)
Non-clinical work: 1275 hours
-275 hours as a barista
-1000 hours as a marketing research intern at my family's marketing company early in college (I talk about how my family wanted me to go into business but working here showed me that my passions lie in medicine)
Non-clinical volunteering: 50
- 50 hours mentoring a first gen high schooler through college application process
Other:
-study abroad
-social sorority (no leadership)
Hobby:
-running (half marathon completed and training for a marathon that got cancelled due to COVID)
-(not listed on previous app) I was thinking about adding reading because during COVID I have read like 60 books but it's kind of a boring hobby to add so idk

My school list last year was: einstein, BU, CWRU, columbia, drexel, emory, GW, georgetown, indiana, temple, loyola, NYU, rush, brown, tufts, umass, miami, umich, wisconsin, virginia tech and my state schools (OSU, toledo and cincinnati).

Help I need:
1. I felt like my school list was pretty balanced last year, does anyone have any schools they can suggest?
2. Are there any glaring problems you see with this application? Any suggestions for improvement?
3. I was in a lab class during undergrad where we helped the professor with his research. It is now getting published and he lists the class as the third author, but my name is not listed until the footnotes. Is this even worth putting in my application?
4. How much should I change my application? Because I got interviews at decent schools so I feel like there aren't major problems with it, but then again I didn't get accepted to any of the schools so idk lol
5. I would also love some reapplicant friends to trade essays and such with, so if you're interested, hmu

Members don't see this ad.

As Goro mentioned. Your stats and on-paper seem superb. This typically means there were either issues with your school list, essays, LORs, and/or interviewing skills. With 4 WLs, you can bet you have problems with interviewing skills. Good news is these are rather easy fixes and you've accomplished more during your last application cycle, so you have a good case for a reapp. Start your narrative anew, be sure your essays all tell a related, central story on yourself and your value as a potential medical student at each program + re-evaluate your school list to make sure it is not too top or bottom heavy + work with friends and impartial mentors to improve your interview skills. Sugar up the other aspects of your life, claiming reading 60 books during COVID is "boring" gives me the vibe you undersold yourself as a human outside of applying to medicine. Be assertive, proud, and descriptive of who you are. A good humanistic narrative is what separates individuals from the hoards of high-achieving "automatons".

Best of luck to you! Reapplications are commonly done and successful with the right improvements (of which I believe you can make before this next cycle).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are stellar and I am pretty confident you do not need us to tell you that. We could argue your essays, personal statements, or perhaps in secondary application writing skills are poor. That is not the case as you were able to receive the interview invites at some very prestigious school. The problem lies where you have to seal the deal...and that my friend is the interview. The interview which for some might seem the easiest part is in fact one of the most challenging aspects of the selection process. You now have all these super qualified candidates "On paper" who now must compete among each other in a physical setting where now you must really represent yourself in a positive manner but showcase a keen interest in the school who is interviewing you. I honestly believe it is at that point where your placed on the chopping block. Reflect on your interview skills my friend because technically you should have had at the bare minimum 1 acceptance based off those stats "On paper"

Reactions: 1 users
Might just be me but the fact that your nonclinical volunteering is lacking relative to the rest of your app may be a bit of a red flag

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. I am a 2020 grad who is currently on 4 MD WL (CWRU, BU, and 2 of my state schools). At this point I am coming to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reapply so I need some advice.

My c/sGPA was 3.95 and MCAT 521.

All that I have added during my gap year is 2000 clinical hours supervising a COVID testing center (more if I add projected hours) and I took a spanish class P/F because I am working for a university and it was free lol.

My activities that were included on last years app:
Clinical: 400 hours
-100 hours shadowing primary care
-250 hours in a clinical research lab in New Zealand (no pub) (I counted this as clinical because my job was to draw blood, take vitals, etc and I needed more clinical hours)
-50 hours volunteering in an endoscopy clinic at a local hospital
Research: 650 hours
-600 hours in a neurobiology lab (no pub)
-50 hours at the Brigham on a clinical trial where I mostly screened data (no pub)
Non-clinical work: 1275 hours
-275 hours as a barista
-1000 hours as a marketing research intern at my family's marketing company early in college (I talk about how my family wanted me to go into business but working here showed me that my passions lie in medicine)
Non-clinical volunteering: 50
- 50 hours mentoring a first gen high schooler through college application process
Other:
-study abroad
-social sorority (no leadership)
Hobby:
-running (half marathon completed and training for a marathon that got cancelled due to COVID)
-(not listed on previous app) I was thinking about adding reading because during COVID I have read like 60 books but it's kind of a boring hobby to add so idk

My school list last year was: einstein, BU, CWRU, columbia, drexel, emory, GW, georgetown, indiana, temple, loyola, NYU, rush, brown, tufts, umass, miami, umich, wisconsin, virginia tech and my state schools (OSU, toledo and cincinnati).

Help I need:
1. I felt like my school list was pretty balanced last year, does anyone have any schools they can suggest?
2. Are there any glaring problems you see with this application? Any suggestions for improvement?
3. I was in a lab class during undergrad where we helped the professor with his research. It is now getting published and he lists the class as the third author, but my name is not listed until the footnotes. Is this even worth putting in my application?
4. How much should I change my application? Because I got interviews at decent schools so I feel like there aren't major problems with it, but then again I didn't get accepted to any of the schools so idk lol
5. I would also love some reapplicant friends to trade essays and such with, so if you're interested, hmu
Hey, I’m in the same exact boat, 3 WLs and reapplying with a 3.86/521. Would love to trade and work with you!

Hey, I’m in the same exact boat, 3 WLs and reapplying with a 3.86/521. Would love to trade and work with you!
I would love to do that- sorry for the late reply. I am still working on re-writing stuff but once I finish this week I would love to switch