Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSuga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading over some old posts from last app. season (on SDN) as I was looking up previous posts for med schools I'm visiting soon. I found that many "reapplicants" are students with good GPA's and competitive MCATs, yet they don't get in to med school! Why is that? If we are getting interviews, then we shouldn't be worried, should we? I know I'm being paranoid, but I was just surprised to see the number of qualified/competitive applicants that have been rejected in the past and must reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

those people had to workd on their interviewing skill. They probably had limited social interaction. They are book smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

A lot has to do with school choice. Now a 3.6 and 30 are great stats, but if you only applied to Hopkins, Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Yale, Columbia and UCSF, you'll (most probably) be batting 0 for 7. I know a lot of people who are a little unreasonable in having a VERY top heavy choice of schools. I'm sure that's a part of it --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
It is all about the interview, but don't listen to what some may say. I interviewed at a couple schools last year and didn't get in. They said that they couldn't see my "passion for medicine." The real truth has nothing to do with me being only book smart (just an average guy) with limited social interaction. I probably hung out a little more than I should have in school and should have studied a little more. When you get to your interview, be prepared to do the dance. I'm a really calm, laid-back kinda guy and I thought that just being myself would win points, especially since I would want my doctor to refrain from doing cartwheels at the prospect of examining me. Apparantly to them, that comes across as a lack of passion for being a doctor. When you interview, make up a cheer or something about how you want to be a doctor, and then realize that this whole process is really arbitrary. If you don't get in during any given application cycle, there might not really be a good reason for it. Don't cry over it. Spend the time you have getting some more relevant experience and apply again. Eventually you will get in, unless you don't, and then of course, you won't.