Rearrangements in grignards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there ever rearrangement in grignards similar to friedalcrafts with 3 or more carbons (though grignards is nuc not electrophile)?

Members don't see this ad.

No I don't think so, Gring. is a strong base and will most likely do SN2 attack. Unless it's doing a nucleophilic addition like it does with aldehydes.
Pretty sure no rearrangements because we only see those with SN1 and E1

Reactions: 1 user
I think of grignard's reagent as a very strong base reaction(nucelophilic).But what follows with the reagent is an acid catalyzed solution. But, if a strong base is with a non acidic solution(ether, or methanol), then rearrangement can occur. That is one of the unique features with grinards, is that it is able to play with a really acidic solution.

I think of grignard's reagent as a very strong base reaction(nucelophilic).But what follows with the reagent is an acid catalyzed solution. But, if a strong base is with a non acidic solution(ether, or methanol), then rearrangement can occur. That is one of the unique features with grinards, is that it is able to play with a really acidic solution.
Do you have any example of this rearrangement

Members don't see this ad :)
So a grignard can add a humongously long chain unlike friedalcrafts alkylation correct?

Yup, if it was like... decaneMgBr. It can definitely add it in there, with H3O+ of course

Is there ever rearrangement in grignards similar to friedalcrafts with 3 or more carbons (though grignards is nuc not electrophile)?

Grignards rarely EVER do any rearrangements......For your purposes......NEVER !!!!! Why ? Grignards do not participate in carbocation mechanisms.....and would likely not rearrange. Friedel Craft reactions involve carbocations many times....and in the case of Friedel Craft alkylations, rearrangements are common.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Grignards rarely EVER do any rearrangements......For your purposes......NEVER !!!!! Why ? Grignards do not participate in carbocation mechanisms.....and would likely not rearrange. Friedel Craft reactions involve carbocations many times....and in the case of Friedel Craft alkylations, rearrangements are common.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano
Ah OK I got confused. Thanks