Reason for choosing dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopy69

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm an undergrad who is very confused with respect to my future career. I am pretty sure that I would like to do something in the medical field, but I'm not sure what profession I would like the best. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what honestly attracted you to dentistry (besides the salary). What do you like about dentistry vs. other types of medical fields? Also, it seems like there are so many dentists everywhere nowadays...do you think it would be hard to set up a practice after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Call your local dentist(s), shadow him or her, then find out for yourself.

Yeah, you might try following a dentist. I got into dentistry b/c I wanted to be an oral surgeon. I hated much of dental school while I was there, but did enjoy senior year. In hind sight dental school was pretty good and being a general dentist wouldn't be so bad. I'm in med school now I can definently say more MD's and medical students are miserable/disgruntled than their dental counterparts. Dental school and the mentality of the typical dentist, at least in Texas, appeals to me more than that of the typical med student/attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
TX OMFS said:
Yeah, you might try following a dentist. I got into dentistry b/c I wanted to be an oral surgeon. I hated much of dental school while I was there, but did enjoy senior year. In hind sight dental school was pretty good and being a general dentist wouldn't be so bad. I'm in med school now I can definently say more MD's and medical students are miserable/disgruntled than their dental counterparts. Dental school and the mentality of the typical dentist, at least in Texas, appeals to me more than that of the typical med student/attending.

You're the most disgruntled med student of all. By the way Conway L&D Rocks! See where I am at Midnight!!

omsres said:
You're the most disgruntled med student of all. By the way Conway L&D Rocks! See where I am at Midnight!!

Listen, son, four the past four days I have done nothing but surf the net. I've scrubbed one C-section and watched 2, also watched 2 vag births. No consents done, no bogina checks, nothing. How you like that apartment? Which shower are you using? Hope you cleaned it...

omsres said:

No I believe bitters is the most disgruntled med student of all. But TX sure gives him a run for his money.

By the way omsres, how are your med students doing?