Reasonable Goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I got back my diagnostic for the MCATs, and received:
4V, 7B, 7P...

Sigh...

Testing for Apr. 5

Is a goal of 10-11 on all sections a reasonable goal to set? I'm mostly out of shape with Orgo, having not taken it in a while (as in I didn't prepare for the diagnostic), and with a few concepts of physics that I've never learned (optics, sound, waves). Verbal I just trashed myself, I think :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

You have a **** ton of time to prepare. Tons of people do ****ty on their first diagnostic and then go on to do well on the real thing. Just buckle down and work hard. I assume you're taking a prep course, and that's where you did the diag? They should do a good job of reviewing that for you. Your real problem is with verbal. Start reading a lot.

I don't know if a 10+ on every section is attainable, but it might be. You have plenty of time.

Also, if you're doing TPR, their diags are way harder than the real test.

I have a buddy who just got a 19 Diagnostic and I am pretty sure he'll knock out a 10+ on each section. Just depends on how much effort you put into getting the basic materials down cold, then learning how the AAMC tests you. I'm sure I'll probably score about the same (or would if I took it now).

I think you can do it! Plenty of time. Also, on a side note, with your verbal you might want to consider reading one journal article a day from now until your exam (read it on the cpu, don't print it out), focus on reading it fast and understanding what is being tested/manipulated/stated and how, so don't skip the methods section!

Nature is a great journal if you looking for something good (I prefer nature neuroscience), but they have a number of different specialized journals.

Good luck!

When you say diagnostic test do you mean...

1) The first test given to you by either a Kaplan or Princeton Review MCAT review course? If so that score is a freakin lie. Rather than give you the actual MCAT they gave you a fake test that they wrote and that is harder than any test you'll ever take so as to void your moneyback guarentee. I think I got an 11 on mine from the Princeton Review, I ended up with a 34 on the real thing. Yes if you study you can get a 30+ score.

2) An actual previously given MCAT? You could get a 30+ but you're looking at studying full time for several months. In addition to your studying read a couple of books a week (or a magazine every day) to get that verbal score up. Put off the test if your score doesn't improve by your last diagnostic. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience the diagnostic is meaningless in terms of how well you will do on the real thing. Really, it doesn't correlate AT ALL from what I've seen. What it does measure is how much of the concepts/information you know before you start studying. There were a few people on the kaplan forums that had an 15 and a 14 on the diagnostic. One ended up with a 37, and the other got a 35.

Don't worry about it. Just let it be your motivation to do better. With the time you have, depending on your potential, you could be scoring in the high 30s.

It was a Kaplan diag. That makes me feel better. During the break, I'm plotting 5 hours a day, at a minimum, to adjust for my schedule during spring semester ^.^

I got a 19 on my kaplan diag. I also did self study during the hardest semester I had during UG. I ended up getting a 32. Could I have done better with a cushier schedule? probly. But let it be a story of being able to do everything with out sacrificing something else, while still being successful