Reasonable schools to apply to based on my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlotter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am planning on applying during the next application cycle, so I've already started looking into schools to see where my chances are best (plus, where I am not spending $150k on school). I'm from NC, so that's where in-state tuition would be applicable to me. I'd also like some advice on how to improve my stats in my last year before applying. I'm pretty confident that I can get in on this next round, but any extra advice is always welcome.

University: American University (Washington, D.C.)
Major: Health Promotion (BS)
Overall GPA: 3.55 with 2 semesters left (should improve based on the classes I'm taking during my senior year)
Pre-Req GPA: depends on the school but about a 3.32-3.4 before any retakes
  • Anatomy 1 & 2: B+ and A-
  • Bio 1 & 2: B- and B+
  • Chemistry 1 & 2: C (retaking in the fall, then taking chem 2 for the first time)
  • Physics 1 & 2: A and B+
  • Math: A
  • Psych: All As
  • Statistics: B-
GRE: 1 take, 156 verbal, 150 math, 4.5 writing

Extra Curriculars: Photographer for two campus organizations (3 years), executive board member of the campus LGBT organization (3 years)

Work: Nanny (3 years), administrative assistant at an outpatient ortho PT clinic (presently 8 months and continuing as long as possible)

Volunteer/Observation: outpatient ortho (360 hours), inpatient rehab (55 hours), pediatric (40 hours), total: 460 hours

Right now I am definitely applying to: Western Carolina (NC), East Carolina (NC), Winston-Salem State University (NC), Elon (NC), Chapel Hill (NC), St. Catherine (MN).

Any suggestions for improving my application or what schools I should look into based on my stats would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I actually just got accepted to an NC school and I'm from GA. My stats are a little lower than yours, not by much, but I think your GRE score looks great. Your GPA seems pretty average and on par. If you're looking for another school to apply to, look into Campbell U. in NC. That's where I applied, not knowing anything about them, got invited for an interview 2 weeks after I sent my application in and even though I was put on a waitlist, they accepted me recently! It's been the only university who's looked at me as an individual and not a number. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I actually just got accepted to an NC school and I'm from GA. My stats are a little lower than yours, not by much, but I think your GRE score looks great. Your GPA seems pretty average and on par. If you're looking for another school to apply to, look into Campbell U. in NC. That's where I applied, not knowing anything about them, got invited for an interview 2 weeks after I sent my application in and even though I was put on a waitlist, they accepted me recently! It's been the only university who's looked at me as an individual and not a number. Good luck :)

Thanks! I'll look into Campbell. I also got my writing score back for the GRE, it was a 4.5 so I think that's even better for my chances.