Reasonable Study Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, can someone tell me if this is reasonable?

I have been studying for a bit now, and until May 18, I intend to do/have done:

1)Finish all 4 EK science books
2) Do 1001 MCAT Bio, 1001 Org Chem (org chem is my worst topic), and the Nova Physics Book
3)Do EK 16 Mini Mcats
4)Take 4 diagnostic exams to gauge strength/weakness (done)

I am scheduled to take the MCAT July 18.

Between May 18 and July 18, I essentially intend to take 1 MCAT exam every 2 days (10 GS exams, 11 Full length Kaplan Exams from course, 4 EK exams,
8 AAMC exams).

Furthermore, I during those two months, I plan to go through Kaplan High Yield Notes and Kaplan's MCAT 45, along with Kaplan's VR exam book and EK's VR book.

Is this ok? Am I doing too much of something? Too little? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

you have a lot on your plate....
From what you have said, you seem to be doing a lot of tests and questions..which is good...BUT, make sure that before you start doing the 1001 questions, you know your concepts well.

My only worry about your plan is that you are not giving enough time to learn the concepts for each science. Doing a lot of questions will help you understand and memorize them, but make sure you don't rush through the concepts in the beginning.

Other than that, your plan looks really good. If you are able to manage a full length MCAT every other day for 2 months, then I think you will be more than well-prepared for your test.

Good Luck :)

IMHO, way too much for two months. I also think >30 practice tests is overkill. Here's what I would do:

Today - June 1:
Finish reviewing concepts and do the EK 1001 books. You want to learn everything solid the first time, rather than having to frantically fill in gaps later. Make sure you go over EVERY question you get wrong in the EK 1001 books.

June 1 - June 15:
Take a Kaplan FL every three days. Spend the two days in between going over stuff you got wrong.

June 15 - July 16:
Take two AAMC FL a week and spend the days in between going over missed problems/weak concepts etc. Also, get EKs 101 passages for VR and do two practice tests a week.

July 17: rest!

Thanks for the replies!

Brick Walls, yes, you are right that I am focusing on doing as many questions as I possibly can. As for the 1001, I am only going to do Bio and Orgo. Gen Chem is not worth my time and Nova Physics beats EK 1001 because Nova has MCAT style questions. As for your concern about learning the concepts, I agree with you -- that is why I after every question session I have I go through and write down the science behind the questions I missed or got lucky on. I am trying to avoid just doing questions and then not going over them.

ComicBookDude, I may extend the time I spend going over the EK books. I think it might be worthwhile going over the science even more thoroughly than I hope to go over it now. As for the FL exams, isn't that too few exams? Taking FL exams, as far as I can tell, is THE key to doing well on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
GS = gold standard. GS is a company that sells mcat stuff. they sell a group of 10 internet-based full length exams for 150.

fl = full length exam

And feel free to steal my plan :) Hope it works for you :)

what do you guys use to review the concepts well...is examkracker the best?

and also should i buy the Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package or for each subject its own EK relevant book like Examkrackers MCAT Chemistry,biology,physics...

UBCVan, the EK complete package is the core of my study plans. In my opinion, it provides the most concise, useful overview of all MCAT science. But!! The questions in it are few (only 47 questions per section) so you WILL need to supplement it.

For bio, it's easy -- EK 1001 bio. For physics/orgo/gen chem, it's up to you. Personally, I am only supplementing physics and orgo because gen chem is not worth my time. I am using Nova physics and EK 1001 Orgo, but there might be something better.

So, yes! I think the EK complete package is a GREAT investment. Amazon sells it for 100.00.

Than.Q. for all the info...but i checked the EK complete package,it's about 200.00