Rec Letter from Prof/Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi,

So tonight I asked a former anatomy prof for a letter of recommendation, and when I looked up his contact info, saw that he is now a resident physician at the medical school where he used to be a professor. In less than two hours, he sent me a PDF of the letter for me to review (I didn't even ask; seriously he's such a nice guy). He wrote my letter in regard to a science course, but also commented on my capacity to be a doctor. For DO schools that ask for only two letters, could I use this as my doctor letter (or a doc letter for any school), and a biology prof for the faculty letter? It's on med school letterhead, stating his position as a year two resident. he's an MD/PhD. thanks for the answers in advance!

It's a really good letter that I intend to use, I just want to know how to best use it
adcoms, please correct me if I'm wrong.
But if this person knew you as a student then he/she is likely most qualified to comment on that. Of course, there are some capacities as a student that also speak to capacities to be a doctor. But it's still different than someone who saw you in a clinical setting. But I am a little confused as to how you could tell medical schools which requirement this letter fulfills, professor or doctor. Hopefully someone else can weigh in