rec letter from thesis advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigbonustoday

Full Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rookie question on rec letter:

Many schools define a "science letter" as from a science faculty member that taught you a class and gave you a letter grade.

I can potentially get a great letter from my undergrad thesis adviser who is the chair of my major department (science major) but never taught me a class personally.

Would this count as a science letter?

EDIT: To be 100pct clear, the research work is listed on the official transcript as 2 classes titled "independent research" with 2 letter grades, as I worked in his lab for a full year. I'm just wondering if this would count as a "class".
 
Last edited:
Well, if a school has an explicit requirement for a "science letter from a science faculty member who has taught you in a class" and your thesis adviser never taught you in a class, I think the answer is self-evident. Get a science letter from a science faculty member who taught you in a class - your thesis adviser can be another letter.
 
Well, if a school has an explicit requirement for a "science letter from a science faculty member who has taught you in a class" and your thesis adviser never taught you in a class, I think the answer is self-evident. Get a science letter from a science faculty member who taught you in a class - your thesis adviser can be another letter.

To be 100pct clear, the research work is listed on the official transcript as 2 classes titled "independent research" with 2 letter grades, as I worked in his lab for a full year. I'm just wondering if this would count as a "class".
 
To be 100pct clear, the research work is listed on the official transcript as 2 classes titled "independent research" with 2 letter grades, as I worked in his lab for a full year. I'm just wondering if this would count as a "class".

If it's listed as a class and your thesis adviser is the "instructor," then you can probably squeak by with it. Still advise you to get one from a science faculty who taught you in a classroom setting and then just use your thesis adviser's as another one.