Rec Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Series 208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say after you graduated with a BS you got a job and worked for a few years before applying to med school. Would schools still want recommendation letters from your previous professors or would different sources be required, say employers, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Nontrad forum might be able to help you out. My guess would try getting in contact with some of your olds profs and see if theyre willing to write a lor. How long have you been out of school?

Just hypothetical. I'm thinking I may need to work for a few years after undergrad to pay back loans and get on solid ground before med school. I was just curious as to who would be writing the recommendation letters after I was so far removed from undergrad (3 or 4 years).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general rule schools go by is that if you have been out more than 2 years (maybe 3) you can replace your professor letters of recommendations with LoR from your manager or supervisor. I would contact the individual school to make sure how long their requirement is.

I've been out a few years and most of my school still STRONGLY suggested or required science letters, especially if you've been out less than 5 years (also keep in mind that there are a few schools that require your pre-reqs to be completed with in X years of starting med school). I've heard of substitutions for non-science letters with employment letters.

My professors remembered me and were happy to write letters for me, but if you're concerned you could always ask for the letters now and host them on Interfolio until you're ready to apply.