Rec letter requests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I think the ensuing thread will be helpful for applicants, I'm also interested in the experiences of letter writers. This year there seems to have been an uptick in the number of emails from students (usually students who have been in one class I taught) "requesting" letters of recommendation for clinical doctoral programs. What's striking about many of these emails is that the student doesn't really ask if I will write a letter, much less if I will be willing and able to write a strong letter. They usually write something like "I would appreciate it if you would write a recommendation letter", and then launch into detail about dates and materials, etc.

In my opinion, I have three options. First, I can agree to write what invariably will be a lukewarm, somewhat generic letter. Second, I can engage in an email exchange explaining the need for strong letters in applications to highly competitive programs. Third, I can decline to write a letter, usually with some brief explanation as to why a letter from me won't really be helpful. (Note, these are not students I would definitely not recommend; those I firmly decline).

In the past, the second and third options usually have resulted in the student insisting that they want a letter from me, and at that point, having wasted some time trying to discuss, I usually oblige. I'd like to save some of that time this year, particularly given the growing list of this sort of request, but I'd like to hear how other folks proceed?

Applicants, if you do not already, consider developing the practice of actually asking the potential writer if he or she can write a strong letter for you.

Members don't see this ad.