Rec letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDUS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just asked one of my English Comp Professors if he could write me a recommendation letter. He answered that he is only part-time and not stationary, and therefore, he might not be able to write one! Does anyone know if Recommendation letters are acceptable if it is from a part-time professor who is not stationary at a university (whatever that means :))? My other question is: There should be a form for rec letters on the AADSAS website, but for the next cycle it is only available in May, right? Who does have to fill them out, profs or students?
Thanks for any answers ;) ,
DDUS

Members don't see this ad.

i would say you'd be okay asking a part time prof to write your letter but if he's part time AND english teacher that may be kind of iffy since you'd be better off with a prof who taught one of your prereqs

as for the rec match letter, i have no idea, i never used them

In fact, I took English Comp with this prof as a prerequisite. He told me that the AADSAS may not accept letters from part-time profs or from profs who are not stationary! Does anyone know about this :D?
Thanks,
DDUS

Members don't see this ad :)
i meant more in terms of an upper level science prereq

Just to let you know, some schools require 2 letters from science profs and 1 from a non-science prof!

Does anyone know whether part-time English Comp profs who are not stationary are acceptable for LORs? Does the AASDAS have any standards for this? The LOR match form does not have to be filled out by profs right?
Thanks for any answers:D,
DDUS

AADSAS matching forms are available once the 2008 cycle opens up sometime in mid-May. You create a profile to start your application, fill out the LOR section indicating who is writing the LOR, then print out the newly created matching form, check the box which indicates you waive your right to access the LOR, sign it, and give the matching form to the prof with whatever other information you want to give to the prof. The prof then mails the LOR with the matching form to AADSAS. AADSAS doesn't care who writes the letter, as long as the matching form comes with the LOR so the LOR can be associated with your applicant file and subsequently be sent to the schools you designate. You should check with the schools to see what the reqs are for a LOR. Usually TA LORs will not count as an academic LOR. Part-time prof with PhD usually does. Either way, the school makes the decision on what LORs count and how they count - not AADSAS.