Rec Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aliengod3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good details to have a professor include in a dental rec letter other than dexterity? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some good details to have a professor include in a dental rec letter other than dexterity? Thanks.

A professor commenting on your dexterity is actually kind of weird unless this was some pottery class....like POT390 taught by Dr. Clay PhD...or a professor you played thumb war with during office hours.

Generically, the professor can say you were a good student and did well in his class. The better stuff is more about you as an individual and how you might be good for dental school.

Maybe about your maturity level, academic ability, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a blog post that I took this from. It should give you a good idea of topics that your letter writers could talk about. Hope it helps;)

"3. Things to talk about in a letter of recommendation

Some of the professors or dentists may have never written a letter of recommendation or have written very few. In some cases the professors may be writing letters of recommendation but not really know what they should write about. That is why you should hand them a list of things that can or should be included in a letter of recommendation. This list should not even be much more than ten items long. I will list some ideas but feel free to come up with some of your own. You do not have to include all of them.

• Maturity
• Academic potential
• Problem solving skills
• Ability to handle stress
• Adaptability
• Communication skills
• Ability to exercise good judgment
• Self-confidence
• Resourcefulness
• Compassion
• Work ethic
• Critical thinking skills